pmccoy

Well Known Member
I am starting the process of FW FWD installation. As I plan for how this is all going to fit together, I was wondering....

should I run all my wiring and then build the baffles around and over the wiring...

or

should I build all the baffling and then run my wiring around and through the baffles

Peter,

The baffles go first, at least for me they did.

Once installed, you will see how you need to run wires through them.

The sequence for me was: Cowling, Baffles, then Wires.

I'm trying to think now... I don't have any wires, other than spark plug wires, going *through* the baffles. However, it may be helpful to have those baffles in place as it helps visualize where the wires would run..

I'm trying to think now... I don't have any wires, other than spark plug wires, going *through* the baffles. However, it may be helpful to have those baffles in place as it helps visualize where the wires would run..

Just what I was thinking.

Maybe he has Plasma ignition?? That would have sensor wires if using a crank pickup.

I would get all the needed holes in the firewall before doing the baffling, just easier to get the drill in, and to deburr etc.

If you are going to have EGT and CHT on all cyls, I suggest running the sensor wires for each bank through the FW on its own side, make the hole close to the motor mount, and then the wiring can be snubbed to the mount with Adel clamps.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I have an electronic ignition with pulsed fuel injection. I think both spark and ignition will be going through the baffles.

Thanks for the advice. I have an electronic ignition with pulsed fuel injection. I think both spark and ignition will be going through the baffles.

O.K., now how to run the wires through the baffling.

Question, are there connectors on the wiring that will preclude drilling a hole just big enough to use a grommet that fits the wire???

If so, you need to make up a way to seal around the wire.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...-468&browse=airframe&product=firewall-shields

These work well. The as says for firewall, but will work on any thin stock.

You might want to consider keeping the ign wires separated from the injection, no chance of "cross talk"

Good luck.

Last edited:
Baffle ignition wire seal

This is better. It is plastic and won't hurt your wire.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/engbaffleseals.php

wireseal2.jpg
wireseal1.jpg