mill2978

Well Known Member
I am in the middle of my wings and about to order wire. I got this advertisement today from a company that caught my eye.

http://www.alliedelec.com/lp/130808...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=130808_product

They claim this wire "meets or exceeds the electrical and thermal characteristics of PVC wire, while being smaller, lighter and more durable."

They are claiming that it is up to 40% lighter. How much weight in small gauge wire do you think is in a typical 7/8/9? Do I have to potential to save 10lbs or only a few ounces?

If it is ounces it probably isn't worth the time to explore further, but if it is lbs then I need to research the other items fire resistance, abrasion resistance,etc.

I tried searching the forums but didn't find much info for the total # of feet or wire weight in the average plane.

Aaron

PVC jacketed wire is very different than tefzel wire. The characteristic that I do not like about PVC wire is the fumes it emits when overheated. It is not as fuel and chemical resistant either. As far as weight, it would be difficult to to make much of a difference in our small aircraft. I would like to know the specs on this new wire, like what does it emit when overheated or if it comes in contact with other chemicals, uv, etc.

Bird

PVC jacketed wire is very different than tefzel wire. The characteristic that I do not like about PVC wire is the fumes it emits when overheated. It is not as fuel and chemical resistant either. As far as weight, it would be difficult to to make much of a difference in our small aircraft. I would like to know the specs on this new wire, like what does it emit when overheated or if it comes in contact with other chemicals, uv, etc.

Bird

Those are the same questions I have. The literature on the manufacturer site states "...because it is constructed of stranded tinned copper conductors and a Zero Halogen Polyphenylene Oxide (PPO) insulation that contains no halogens, phthalates or heavy metals. The absence of toxic materials means the product can be burned or disposed of safely without harm to people, animals or the environment."

I called them to ask about the chemical and abrasion details but it's Friday afternoon...I'll try again on Monday

Dupont has the spec for Tefzel here

Well tinned copper is very good so the weight savings must be in the insulation. It would be negligible in our planes though.

Brd