sailvi767

Well Known Member
I am going to replace a 396 with a 696 just purchased. The plugs I know are different. It looks like the easiest install will be to cut the current 396 plug off and cut the 696 cord and splice the proper wires. This appears easier then routing all the wires on a new 696 cord to the required locations behind the panel.
I have experience in Marine wiring. Normally I would use butt connectors with a water proof shrink rap over the connector. Is this appropriate for a aircraft. The other option would be to solder the wires and then shrink rap them. Is there a preferred method for aircraft?

George

Thanks, That is similar to a boat technique. I will go with that. Should produce a nice low profile splice. The hardest part will be keeping the wires apart and getting them all to the right length. If I go with shrink wrap over each splice then a larger piece over the all the splices it should produce a good tight connections.

George

Have you considered a CPC connector?

It would cost a little more than butt connectors, but the next time you want to change units (say the XX96) it will be much easier.

2011-02-27083204.jpg

2011-02-27083229.jpg

2011-02-27083114.jpg

2011-02-27083151.jpg

I am going to replace a 396 with a 696 just purchased. The plugs I know are different. It looks like the easiest install will be to cut the current 396 plug off and cut the 696 cord and splice the proper wires. This appears easier then routing all the wires on a new 696 cord to the required locations behind the panel.
I have experience in Marine wiring. Normally I would use butt connectors with a water proof shrink rap over the connector. Is this appropriate for a aircraft. The other option would be to solder the wires and then shrink rap them. Is there a preferred method for aircraft?

George

I think the 396 is spoken for however if he decides not to take it I will put it up on Vans at a very reasonable price because it does not have the normal extra's. It would be the unit plus a external GPS antenna and a XM antenna.

George

When I upgraded from a 496 to the 696, I just cut off the 496 wires and used the same crimp on butt splices that I used for splicing other wires on the plane.

As long as you use a high quality, double crimp type butt connector (such as Amp brand) and a high quality crimper, you will have a very long lasting reliable connection.

BTW. Whereas the 496 required the external GPS antenna, unless you mount the 696 in the panel, you mostly likely don't need the external GPS antenna - just the XM weather antenna.

Last edited:
I have planned to use the internal antenna on the 696. It will clean up the glare shield a bit on my 6. Now if I can just talk my wife into a Zaon XRX linked to the 696 I will be happy.

George