laserman

So I did not see a posting on a high temperature rated wire sleeving I found which looks like a real winner for aircraft wiring applications. All fiberglass construction. Rated at 1200F, Its cheap, about a $1/Ft... Ends don’t fray easily, but I will safety wire wrap the “Cut Ends” .. It easily expands in diameter to almost 2X original ID .. and then can be “Pulled” back to original size. Going to use it for all my FWF wire sleeving... Looks great too !! Could be used to cover control cables a well.. Sure you can find a supplier by searching "Insultherm" Enjoy.. Be Safe... Al

Insultherm Installation by Arthur Karpinski, on Flickr

Insultherm Sleeving by Arthur Karpinski, on Flickr

Run Insultherm Thru SS Fitting for "Chaffing" barrier.

Insultherm Protects Wiring From Chafing by Arthur Karpinski, on Flickr

Engine Harness Thru Firewall

FWF Engine Wiring Harness DONE ! by Arthur Karpinski, on Flickr

Run Insultherm Thru SS Fitting for "Chaffing" barrier.

Fitting 1" Stainless Steel Firewall Fitting by Arthur Karpinski, on Flickr

Three Engine Controls Thru Firewall

Engine Control Cables Thru Firewall by Arthur Karpinski, on Flickr

Last edited:
As an alternative to securing ends with safety wire, would lacing cord work well in this application? I guess I'm not a big fan of having conductive safety wire wrapped around a wire bundle, just in case things move and that safety wire starts to eat into the insulation of the wiring. Maybe my concerns are misplaced...

Maybe Consider

using the tape that may be used to finish the ends of fire sleeve. It appears to stick to itself, then bond together to become a seemless whole. Only drawback may be that it would be challenging to remove at a later date. Comes in red or black.

A few drops of Super Glue to prevent any unraveling ?

Comments on wire so noted.. If something can screw up. . it will.. But this stuff is great... This sleeving really does not want to unravel to begin with.. Per its manufactures description... So just a little tape would work.. As a test I hit the ends few drops of liquid superglue.. Looks nice.. seems to do the trick.. Most of the cut ends won't be in high heat areas.

Your installation certainly looks nice and neat, Al. Like a factory wiring loom in a car, only much better as it's not covered in cheapo plastic! :)