RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I want to run some wires up the left side forward of the spar. Once forward of the spar there are fuel lines and rear rudder pedal idler arm etc. How did you other 8A builder get past these obstacles? Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks

I don't have the rear seat rudder pedals, so you may have to do something different.

I ran wires forward through bushings in the spar, to the the brace on the gear leg weldment that runs forward and outboard. I tied to this brace for its entire length. I then ran through an Adel clamp attached to the tab on that brace that you (probably) have your rear seat rudder pedals attached to, and forward from there under the left side panel that the fuel selector is mounted in.

I'm sure I have photos at home. Let me know if you would like me to post some.

Same idea sort of

Guy,

I have the same idea, you are correct I can't use the tab in the weld mount because the rear pedal idler arm attachs there but there is room to run the wires behind the idler arm. My dilemma is running wires up from here. I would like to go straight up along the F-802 bulkhead but then the engine control cables are there. I can run the wires thought the same hole as all of the fuel lines and run the wires up the back side of the F-802 which keep them hidden, the front side (inner portion) of the F-802 had the fuel vent and brake line so that area is crowded.

I would like a second hole in the F-802 for the wires but the hole in the QB kit is so large I can't really make another hole so close.

The other idea I have is to run the wires up the forward side of the F-804 the along the top longeron through the left instrument sub panel. The thing I don't like about this is that you can see the wires as they run up the F-804.

I don't have the engine control cables, is there much movement between them at the F-802 bulkhead, could a wire bundle fit there?

From the Adel that you have at the weld mount did you just run straight up the F-802?

Thanks for the help

I ran them forward of F-802, so they remained hidden. I can't remember for sure, but I believe I lined the large fuel line hole with grommet edging, ran forward through that, and then up F-802 (Either inboard or outboard of the throttle cables). I managed to keep a good loop at the F-802 corner by using an ADEL clamp on F-802 a few inches above the hole. The clamp was sized for a firm grip, forcing a nice S-curve into the cables at the bend and preventing contact at the hole.

The engine control cables are totally rigid at F-802. If you don't hit them, you're not gonna.

My memory could be fuzzy--I'll try and back this up with photos this evening.

I ran the left side wires with the throttle cables, that is: under the throttle console, arm rest, rear throttle console cover and armrest. That's the same area the manual trim contol cable goes. My flap motor wires go there. In fact my flap control switch is to the left or the trim knob, so I can hold the trim knob and operate the flap switch between my knuckles. The idea being a firm hand hold on the knob while operating the flap swith, then a quick twist of the knob to adjust the trim accordingly.
I'm also runing wire down the right side, more in fact, because the right console is where most of us locate the switch panel.
The side consoles have good access after the A/C is built. You can sit in the seat and work, sure would beat having to pull up the floors and stand on your head later.
I think headphone wires, oxygen connection and suit heat power should all be together on the left side. Right side Aux power is for GPS, computers, video cams, whatever, that are not attached to the pilot / pax.
It's my thought on reducing tangling of wires in the cockpit.

Photos

OK,

Here's what I did.

845376721_yYqQF-L.jpg

845376737_775XC-L.jpg

845376757_gU86f-L.jpg

Added Holes

Guy,

Thanks for the pictures, so you added holes, this is what I want to do but was not sure more holes was a good idea, I had not called Van's to ask, they aways seem to tell you to minimize the holes.

What antennas run off the two cables in your picture, VHF and transponder? I ask because my A/P servo wires are going to run on this side and I did not know if I should keep the transponder cable well clear. I thouht about running this wire up with the static line, my transponder antenna is below the baggage floor.

Thanks for the help

OK,

Here's what I did.

845376721_yYqQF-L.jpg

845376737_775XC-L.jpg

845376757_gU86f-L.jpg

The Coax is for transponder and Com. The left side of my plane is the "quiet" side, but you'll notice that my boost pump wires join it briefly since the boost pump is located right there.

Fewer holes is always better, but if you stay near the center you're on the neutral axis and they can't have a huge effect. it would be better if mine were centered and located as far above the existing (giant) hole as possible.

Guy