brian

Well Known Member
I know lots of RVers use various stick grips with switches. I'm using the Infinity Aerospace ones.

How are people running the wires for these? The easiest way appears to be to just run the wires out the bottom of the tube. However, at that point, several inches from the pivot points, the bottom of the tube moves around a lot. So it seems like doing it that way is going to require a lot of slack in the wire, and it seems to me that all that wire movement and flexing is going to wear out the wire soon.

The other way would be to drill a hole in the side of the stick, nearest the pivot points in both directions, then run the wires through that hole. That would minimize the amount of wire movement. However, that way doesn't seem great, either, as the close proximity of the floor ribs will make it hard to route the wires so they don't hit anything throughout the full range of stick movement.

So, how are you other RV builders and fliers doing this? Any pictures of installations would be super.

thanks,
brian

I had the same dilemma 10 years ago. I ran the wires out the end of the stick and encased them in the spiral wrap protective material. I left a relatively large service loop so there is no one point that requires a lot of flex in the wire. I also cut out a patch of the UHMW tape that is used on the flaps and attached it to the belly skin so the wires and spiral wrap wouldn't wear against the belly skin.

No problems (and zero visible wear) after 8.5 years and 650 hours.

thanks

Perfect - not only great info, but plenty of experience flying it that way to back it up. Thanks, Kyle! I'll do it as you described.
brian

drilled a hole

The cable for the infinity stick is pretty thick. I didn't think there would be room to run that cable out the end with the bearing and pushrods connected.

Drilling a hole works, but it ends up being a sizable hole. There's a good thread on VAF somewhere to suggest that the stick should be reinforced with a metal collar if you drill a hole in the side of sufficient size for that pack of wires.

Consolidate Ground Wires

What an experienced RV builder/pilot suggested to me was to go in and consolidate all of the ground wires for the switches. This reduces your cable diameter considerably as well as making the bundle more flexible.