apatti

Well Known Member
I am using a Brother P-Touch to make labels for my wires. Has anyone had any experience using these labels in the engine compartment? Did they survive? Any other options?

Thanks,

Brother wire lable maker

I am using the same. works fine. You need to purchase some clear shrink tubeing from Stien and use over the lable or it will fall off.

Not flying yet.

Shrink Wrap

I used some white shrink wrap, labeled them with a fine tip sharpie before shrinking, then applied. Works good, lasts long time.

Thanks for the replies. I did the shrink tubing thing before I bought the Bro. For that I just printed up labels on regular paper (on a regular printer) and wrapped them around the wire and then put clear shrink tubing over that. I liked the results but it was time consuming. Now I am using the Black on White wire labels for the PTouch that you just wrap around the wire and stick to itself. They end up looking like flags.

Thanks for the replies. I did the shrink tubing thing before I bought the Bro. For that I just printed up labels on regular paper (on a regular printer) and wrapped them around the wire and then put clear shrink tubing over that. I liked the results but it was time consuming. Now I am using the Black on White wire labels for the PTouch that you just wrap around the wire and stick to itself. They end up looking like flags.

I did the flag method for two wires and after 210 hours they are still there. For how much longer is anyone's guess. The shrink tubing method is much better, IMHO.

KSUN Labelmaker Pro

I am using a Brother P-Touch to make labels for my wires. Has anyone had any experience using these labels in the engine compartment? Did they survive? Any other options?

Thanks,

Sad to say, I bought it about a week after starting my wiring, but 95% of all my wires (including in the engine compartment) are labeled with shrink wrap tubing printed by this labeler.

The printer prints directly on the shrink wrap.

YMMV,

Dymo makes heat shrink tubing that fits their printers. It's available in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 inch, clear or yellow. No idea how well it holds up, but I would suspect well.

TODR

Dymo makes heat shrink tubing that fits their printers. It's available in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 inch, clear or yellow. No idea how well it holds up, but I would suspect well.

This same question raised on another forum. Does anyone have experience how these printable heat shrinks hold their text when wiped with oil for example? Or generally in engine compartment...

No appreciable change in 290 hours

This same question raised on another forum. Does anyone have experience how these printable heat shrinks hold their text when wiped with oil for example? Or generally in engine compartment...

Thats how long I was flying with my wire labels in the engine compartment. I use a KSUN to print directly onto the shrink tubing. Water, oil, even varsol had virtually no effect on the labels. If they are chafing that will wear the print off, but that is about all that appears to do it.

YMMV