skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
After figuring out what avionics and other electrical goodies are in the plane, what approach did you take to getting together your wiring order? Am I right in assuming it's literally a matter of figuring out where you'll place most devices, getting a tape measure out to figure out the length of runs, then looking at the wiring diagram from each manufacturer to figure out what kind of each wire you need (and what connectors you need)? Or are there any good general references people have used to ballpark things?

I've decided to use the Advanced ACM, which simplifies things a bit. Given the harnesses that they have available and the general cost of wire to begin with, I'm starting to think that I may not actually save an appreciable amount of money by making my own harnesses from scratch, but it's hard to say until I know if I'm buying 1000' of wire or 10x that amount (let alone what gauge, type, etc).

Oh yes I think you will save. Like 50 feet of this or that. I installed the ACM. I may be of some help. I am happy to share any schematics as well. Buy a double sided B&C FOT. 24 each side is plenty.

All my connections are D-sub for consistency. 90% of the boxes are pre-wired, plug and play. The lights, sticks, servos, trim have to be pinned to D-subs. Easy. The EMS-220 is a bit of planning but the cable is adequate.

1. The big wire hogs are the lights. I installed FlyLEDs per manufacturer schematic. Measure from tip to fuse, pathway to the end and add five or six feet per side. Remember the beacon cable. I used shielded.
2. ACM doesn't use a remote Dynon hub. AP Servos & ADAHRS cables are probably plenty long but pathways get tight fast.
3. Ray Allen trim wire is not fun to terminate. Personally, I would buy 5 conductor 22AWG trim wire.
4. The GPS puck cable is a mile long. Save what's left. It's great for a color coded switch harness. Unless you choose to use the ACM switch module. I used Honeywell SPST. Groups each have a ground buss then the switched ground goes back to the ACM. Easy.
5. The ACM stick harnesses are fine but make sure they send extra long ones. I got early versions and had to ask for new ones. They need two more conductors to handle all the buttons on Tosten grips so plan accordingly. 22 AWG is fine.
6. Flap cable. I used PH Aviation so two runs. One power, ground. One three wire sensor.
7. There were a handful of other runs like P-mag, AUX USB, LED Panel lights, etc. ACM doesn't support P-Mag. They get a direct circuit to the Master or however you want them.
Hope that helps

After figuring out what avionics and other electrical goodies are in the plane, what approach did you take to getting together your wiring order? Am I right in assuming it's literally a matter of figuring out where you'll place most devices, getting a tape measure out to figure out the length of runs, then looking at the wiring diagram from each manufacturer to figure out what kind of each wire you need (and what connectors you need)? Or are there any good general references people have used to ballpark things?

I've decided to use the Advanced ACM, which simplifies things a bit. Given the harnesses that they have available and the general cost of wire to begin with, I'm starting to think that I may not actually save an appreciable amount of money by making my own harnesses from scratch, but it's hard to say until I know if I'm buying 1000' of wire or 10x that amount (let alone what gauge, type, etc).
Do everything you said. Measure and calculate it all to the inch, including gauge and color. Then take your precise result and multiply it by 1.5, or 2.0. Then order the wire and expect to make a couple more orders later when the unexpected happens and you need more ...

You won't be the first

Download Install Manual for each component you plan to put in your plane. From that, you can determine what TYPE of wire or cables are required, each component will require a different type wire run. Be exact in your wire choices, pretty exact in lengths of runs & if you can plan to order at least 10% more than you need.
We found out not too long ago that wire & cable costs are much more than just a few years ago. No more ordering 100, 200, 300 foot spools to ‘just have on have’ anymore…

Wiring is a big job, so forewarned is forearmed.

The first step should be to draw the wiring schematic(s) and interconnect diagrams for your aircraft. A good start would be one of the generic CAD drawings available from the Aeroelectric Connection.

I used the Vans wiring kit for all of the power wiring and it covered everything plus leftovers, for my project.

I purchased the Dynon harnesses for the display and autopilot servos (the max length option, 20'). These are all color coded and terminated at one end.

The bulk of the rest of the interconnect wiring was 22 AWG and 20 AWG and I bought a spool of each, 100m I think. The small gauge wire is relatively inexpensive and it is convenient to have plenty spare.

The balance of the wiring for coax and shielded audio was ordered ad-hoc. There isn't much of it but it is expensive and can be measured accurately when the equipment is in place.

Wiring was fun, I really enjoyed doing it.