dick seiders

Well Known Member
Catching up on some odds and ends that I wanted to do eventually and that is now. I am planning on installing .125 shims between the fuse mount and rudder bar frame mount blocks to provide more clearance for the bundle of wires that pass over the rudder bars on the way up to the panel. The original assembly drawings call for squeezing the wires in the gap between the fuse and rudder bars and I have never been comfortable with the setup. I have placed mylar tape on the rudder bars which helps, but I want more space to reduce possibilty of chafing the wire insulation due to the frequent movement necessary when using rudder control. Has anyone done this, or used another method to deal with the issue? (I am aware of the change Van made after my assembly, but that would make the gap even smaller).
thanks for feedback.
Dick Seiders 120093, 47hrs

Order wireway from Van's

Lowering the rudder will help but it is still possible for the wires to sag and rub on the rudder.
Why not order new parts from Van's? The "Over Rudder Wireway" (part numbers F-12125 A & B & C on plans page 31-13) will protect the wires with sheet metal between the wires and moving rudder parts. The wireway can be installed without removing the rudder or wires. But it might be difficult to get the cushion clamps out without lowering the rudder. See this post for a picture:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=365980&postcount=6
Joe