smithhb

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever considered creating a wire book library for builders to reference when trying to create their own wire schematics? I, for one, am realizing that I am re-inventing the wheel for many of the devices I will be wiring in my RV and many of you builders who have been down this road have excellent schematics already created just sitting and taking up Mb's of storage space on your computers.

I see LOTS of posts here, on Matronics, and the various Yahoo Group Lists where builders request a particular schematic and there are repeated replies with various options and suggestions. But it is not organized.

Bob Nuckolls has offered help many times but the builder is faced with searching the archives which can be an arduous task.

My thought is to develop a repository of drawings/schematics in both .dwg and/or .pdf formats that can be logically organized and searched. The particular drawings could then be viewed and downloaded based on your particular need. Ideally, this could be set up as a website and have links to designs.

For example, say someone wanted to see a wiring design for installing a small 7aH battery as a backup to power their GRT EFIS prior to startup? I know that Paul Dye has a simple hand-drawn schematic but how do I find it? Was it posted on Matronics Lists? No, maybe it was on the Yahoo RV List... No, not there... Heck, I'll just post a request for it on VAF Forums and hopefully Paul will see it. See what I mean?

Catagories could include:

Complete Wire Book
Autopilots
Com Radios
NAV Radios
GPS
Grip controls
Ray Allen Products
Antennas
Trim Speed Reduction
Lighting
Flaps
Annunciators, etc.

What does everyone else think about this?

This sounds like a wonderful idea-----------too bad I am already basically done with my wiring------------

Seems to me that a "sticky" thread for each of the designs would be fairly simple to do, folks just have to post a schematic for their RV-? in the correct forum. This will at least address the issue of complete diagrams, the various sub diagrams need a bit more thought. Perhaps just a "sticky" thread in this forum.

Will take a bit of work for someone----moderators??----to move existing posts from wherever they currently are, to the correct model forum.

I will volunteer to do the -10s, assuming that Doug agrees with this.

Last edited:
sticky links??

If nothing else maybe we could have sticky links to the schematics on the various web sites or blogs. People could then at least look and decide where to start.

Wirebooks

Bob Nuckolls has an large number of wirebook examples on his website - Aeroelectric Connection. I recall the Lancair IVP example had about 40 drgs.

John Moody

Centralized RV Repository

I am aware of the samples on Aeroelectric Connection. However, the examples posted are NOT very helpful or complete. I am proposing a central repository that could be cataloged by component as I described earlier. Also, this would offer alternative wiring schemes as installed by various builder thus offering a choice of design configurations.

We have the largest builder community in experimental construction history and EVERY one of us has to wire their aircraft. Therefore, WE should be able to put together and offer a site for all present and future builders to glean ideas and offer new ones.

Seeing as how I'm years away from wiring, this won't be much help but when I am done, I would be happy to share my schematic parts libraries or even the schematic itself. I still haven't decided what program I am going to use to capture it... guess it depends on whether I want netlisting. At work, I use AutoSketch for basic diagrams, and a mix of Autocad/EPD and Mentor DxDesigner for detailed schematics, but these programs are too expensive for homebuilders.

What do you guys use? I would vote against PDF graphics (except for entire schematics for viewing) and am neutral towards .dxf/.dwg.

What do you guys use? I would vote against PDF graphics (except for entire schematics for viewing) and am neutral towards .dxf/.dwg.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of a wirebook - it really would help a lot of people. Unfortunately, I am one of those persons who never has time to learn how to use a good graphics program, so all of the Val's wiring drawings are done in pencil on paper.....I have them all in a folder, and always say "one of these days, I'm going to clean them up...", but who has the time?!

Yes, we should do this! How do we implement with lazy guys like me sitting on the data? I don't know.....:eek:

Paul

Yes, we should do this! How do we implement with lazy guys like me sitting on the data? I don't know.....:eek:Paul

That is also my question----------I think it is going to take action by Doug, (actually, I was hoping he would jump in here by now) to create the basic setup, we can fill in the data as we go along.

Last edited:
I also didn't take the time to learn
a drafting program and used Paint Shop Pro
to generate my schematics as line drawings.
We built a VFR single radio RV-7A.
The drawings make sense to me but I don't know
how useful they would be to others.

I would be glad to share them, but also haven't
taken the time to learn how to attach them in
this forum. They email and print fine as a TIFF or GIF file.
Tom

Format Options

Who says the designs have to be in any specific format? Heck, I can read Paul's pencil scratch just fine. The designs can be in any format. Ideally, though, if they were offered up as .jpg, .tif, .pdf or .gif they would be readable to most everybody.

Those who have their designs in .dwg or even Visio would be fine too. The more the merrier.