Mtherr

Well Known Member
Patron
We are now in real Canadian winter here. I wish to fly Saturday at -20C (-4F).

I have something to control the air inlet of the oil cooler, but I think I should also have something to reduce the flow of the air intakes.

Any one used the RVPlastics Winter Dam on their RV6?

Any other options?

Congrats buying "Second wind". I was looking at it last NOV as well but could not find a hangar. Must have been an interesting trip flying it home. Enjoy Flying it!!!

I've installed the Anti-Splat oil cooler shutter, and it remains fully closed for most of my winter flying, I can get oil temp up to about 160° on the coldest days. I would not recommend any cowl inlet modifications as the standard RV cowlings are quite restrictive as is, and I think all you will do is raise your CHT's.
Don't forget heated seats-------NICE!

Jettech, indeed this was the best flying experience of my life. Quite a bit of anxiety as well when i diverted to Geraldton, a gold mine town up north in Ontario. I could have been stuck there for a week.

The structure is very good on that plane and it flies fantastically well. But I will rework the panel and electrical to my taste,

We are now in real Canadian winter here. I wish to fly Saturday at -20C (-4F).

I have something to control the air inlet of the oil cooler, but I think I should also have something to reduce the flow of the air intakes.

Any one used the RVPlastics Winter Dam on their RV6?

Any other options?

I have flown lots in sub-zero (F) weather. No need for air damns. Cyl temps stay well above the area of concern.

Larry