fehdxl

Well Known Member
RVators,

Someone once said that one of the worst places to keep an airplane in the winter is in a heated hanger where the heat is turned off at night. The reason being that as everything cools, condensation will form and we all know that water is bad for the internal parts of engines and airframes alike.

My question to you all is would turning on an engine oil sump heater daily at 1300 and off at 1700L via a timer do the same thing?

Also, can anyone expand what's going on with the internal/external heating and cooling; condensing and evaporating; dew points; engine 'breathing'; etc.

Thanks in advance!

-Jim

My advice is, if you preheat then fly the aircraft. Don't preheat if you aren't going to fly it.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I keep Reiff plugged in 24/7. There is no condensation issue with an engine heat soaked to about 100F. Read up on the Consumer Report test on this issue, after 7 days the internal humidity of the Continental engine was 15%. Leave the dip stick hole open so moisture can easily escape.

Condensation occurs when an engine is cold soaked to 10F and the OAT rises to 30-40F. I saw it on the exterior of the fuel tanks recently, which is a good reason to keep 'em topped off in the winter months.