Hi,

Version 4.1 is available now - it adds Geo-Referenced Approach Charts and fixes bug the Verison 4.0.

Obstacle database is (high) on our to do list.

Thanks,

Hilton

I downloaded Wingx Pro7 to my Ipad on June 30, which I believe is the first day it became available for download.

For this initial version, none of the weather charts (radar, satellite, etc.) could be downloaded without causing the app to immediately close. This was corrected by a software update a couple of weeks later and it now works fine.

Last weekend was the first opportunity to try it out on a local IFR practice flight. The following is only my own personal experience and opinions based on that flight:

1) The user interface is intuitive and easy to use. The application is fairly crisp in response to user input
2) I like it a lot better for pulling up approach plates than the ultracompact PC I had been using (running Pocket Plates software). It is faster, more responsive and the interface is a little easier. I like being able to see the desired chart within just a few seconds of turning the iPad on (no real boot-up process to wait for). Also, the annual subscription is less than Pocket Plates, and gets you everything that Pocket Plates provides, and a lot more (moving map, weather charts, etc.)
3) The moving map is pretty restrictive - the greatest zoom out possible is somewhere around 45 nm displayed on the screen
4) Arrival Procedures are displayed tilted 90 degrees - great if you are used to reading vertically, but not to easy for me when I'm flying. There is no way to rotate the view (if you rotate the ipad, the display rotates as well to stay same-side-up).
5) It is not possible to overlay radar maps on the moving map. While this is not useful in flight anyway (unless you have an in-flight internet connection), it would be helpful to see overlays on the planned flight path displayed on the moving map.

I have also spent a small amount of time comparing WingX to the trial version of Foreflight. One of the big advantages of Foreflight is that it includes Sectional charts and IFR charts in addition to the approach/arrival plates. However, its flight planning tool doesn't seem to be quite as quick with the brief testing I have done so far.

So far, I like WingX a lot. There are still some kinks to be worked out (like the 90 degree display thing), but it has great potential and the iPad seems like an excellent platform for the software.

Note: To use the moving map features when you don't have an internet connection, you need to have the latest version of the iPad, which includes a built-in GPS. Our iPad does not have any cell-based services - only WiFi at home. The iPad actually belongs to my wife, so testing is further limited by whether or not anything else is in the job-jar. :)

Last edited:
WingX Pro 7 - IPAD

Folks,

I just tried the WingX Pro7 (v 4.5), very impressive. I have been using Foreflight (FF) and have ben thrilled with it. The flight planning features from FF are awesome, much better than WingX. The capability to drag the flight planing course is superior. WingX does display the waypoints (next and final waypoint with relevant data (distance, bearing, speed, ....) while FF only has a couple of data fields. If FF could have their flight log updated real time - a huge improvement.

The moving map on FF using sectionals is very good. Appears the next update for WingX will incorporate this feature as well.

The Wx graphics are superior in FF.

I also subscribed to the Geo Approach plates from Seattle Avionics. What separates these two products is the capability to see your self on the airport taxi diagram, and the Approach Plates.

I did contact FF and asked about Geo references. They do not comment on potential future improvements. I am not in business world, but it would appear to me this is a poor business decision. Dynon has mastered the "we are working on the future," no promises on delivery time, but stay with this product, and we will improve!!

The winner will be the company that provides in flight WX for the IPAD using one of these products. Hope this helps Tim

The winner will be the company that provides in flight WX for the IPAD using one of these products.

Lots of flight planning apps have Wx info. If you mean a radar overlay, SkyRadar app does this now, requiring an add-on antenna, about $1000 if I remember right. I think you can download Skyradar temporarily for free to check out the other features, which are pretty nice, although the base map/terrain seems kinda crude.

I would be thrilled if my favorite, Skycharts, could include an internet-based, zoom-able, radar overlay on my flight path. No dependable real-time updates in cruise flight obviously, but still nice for checking right before takeoff, at rest stops, and in-flight when service is available.

erich

Flight Planning/IPAD in flight Wx Capabilities

Erich,

I actually do have SkyChartsPro, and a non-subscription version of Skyradar. Skyradar would be great if you could take its equipment, and apply the reliable inflight Wx capability to one of the other three products (FF, WingX or SkyCharts). Not thrilled with the Skyradar graphics/moving map.

Skyradar would like to work with Dynon to interface their products with the new Skyview. Not sure of the outcome.

I recently sold my Garmin 496 with Wx, because I like the capability of the IPAD to zoom in/out, and I anticipate Apple will allow some time of interface with inflight Wx (similar to recent Bad Elf GPS).

I do not want to take a chance on spotty cell phone coverage while in flight.

I think it is just a matter of time before these technologies come together.

Regards Tim

http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/ Appears in release 4.5 sectionals are included--Question: is I-Pad ok in cockpit at altitude--heard above 8000' could be a problem?

Some uninformed person must have told you that. I've heard reports of 13,000+ being just fine. One user was on an airliner at 30,000+ and was able to track his flight to their destination.
I'm using Foreflight Mobile and SkyCharts Pro right now and am very pleased.
You can run your route on the ground with a wi-fi connection and check weather enroute in Foreflight. At least you can see prior to takeoff if there's anything out there. Most FBO's I've flown in to have free wi-fi so you can take another look before the next leg or before returning home.
I've only been up to 8,500 but I can report that it works fine there.

Some uninformed person must have told you that. I've heard reports of 13,000+ being just fine. One user was on an airliner at 30,000+ and was able to track his flight to their destination.

Super--Will "suggest" to better half this would work for birthday:D Otherwise only to decide what app to use.

I've used them at 38,000 on SWA but airlines being pressured cabins don't count. 8,000 ft. is usually the max. you will see. I used my IPad and Bad Elf to 12,000 ft. in a C172 over Xmas. I think the IPad has a solid state hard drive which makes the altitude question mute.