Davepar

Well Known Member
I've read plenty about people trimming the aft edge. I seem to need to trim the inboard edge next to the aileron. Is that normal? I'm starting to wonder if my ailerons are offset somehow.

This image shows how the wing tip is butted right up against the aileron, but the recess hasn't bottomed out on the wing skin yet.
IMG_1912.jpg

Easy fix

Tape it off for the space you want. I did my top and bottom seperately then block sanded the edge.

Now before trimming the Trailing Edge of the tip, I cleaned the inside with acetone and sanded. I added an epoxy and flox mixture the inside trailing edge. I used my finger with acetone to smooth the inside. This takes away any chance of the tip TE separating when you make the cut.

After curing, I put the tip back on, tape a cut line to line the tip with the aileron and made the cut. I cut it a little over and block sanded to match and sanded the radius in the tip.

Slightly off topic but related to the tips, I found several voids in the glass work UNDER the Gel coat. So, hold the tip up to a bright light and look for the voids. Pretty easy to find. When I found one I immediately broke through the gel coat. After I found them all, I used my Dremel and ground the gel coat away to open the voids completely. I then use epoxy and micro filler to fill the voids.

Thanks for the tips Darwin. I was thinking that adding some epoxy+flox to the inside before trimming the trailing edge wouldn't hurt.

I pulled out the wing instructions today and realized that it says right in there that the tips need to be trimmed for the ailerons. I haven't used the instructions much in several months. Forgot to even look at them. :eek: