Junglepilot

Well Known Member
Just got back from SNF and like many am still caught by the Whelen low price for their MicroBurst system. But it is a daytime only system and therefore not much of an option for me.

Problem is everyone else is so expensive for LED's! For goodness sake, they are just LEDs. No power supply, low current draw, and just high-brightness LEDS (not that much more expensive that regular LEDS).

What is everyone else doing? Anyone found any good products that meet FAA regs for night flying that are reasonably priced?

The main reason I went with Whelen & DW HID

I wasn't even close to 60 Amps for the alternator for full IFR and did not mind the extra weight for the power supplies.

If you are interested in DIY led systems, research forums and groups for people that build salt water aquariums. They are all building high powered led lighting systems for their artificial coral reefs that rival natural sunlight in brightness and color. There are tons of tutorials on how to build from scratch with sources. I'll try to add some links when I get home

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

Last edited:
Home built position lights system

Earlier I found this man from Colorado. I may check and see if he still offers this kit which he says meets/exceeds FAA requirements for Position lights [only] (no strobe). Made for RV/Rocket type wing light cutouts.

http://www.killacycle.com/Lights.htm

Just got back from SNF and like many am still caught by the Whelen low price for their MicroBurst system. But it is a daytime only system and therefore not much of an option for me.

Problem is everyone else is so expensive for LED's! For goodness sake, they are just LEDs. No power supply, low current draw, and just high-brightness LEDS (not that much more expensive that regular LEDS).

What is everyone else doing? Anyone found any good products that meet FAA regs for night flying that are reasonably priced?

Actually, they are not just LEDs. Our lights contain an internal power supply that regulates the LED current, keeps them from burning up, and is designed to survive abnormal voltage surges, voltage spikes, lightning transients and all the other electrical and environmental requirements found in the DO-160 standard. Add to that the custom reflectors, lenses, and heat sinks, and there is a lot to our Bill of Materials and a lot of engineering that goes into assuring that they comply with the FARs for position and anti-collision lights. Our margins are not as great as you probably think they are.

Best Regards,

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs LLC

AeroLED Pulsar NSP works for me

I spent lot of time at SNF checking out all the Nav/Strobe/Position light options and ended up really impressed with the AeroLED NSPs. Thats what I bought and got a price break there through Wick's booth. With my -6A wingtips I will mount them outside. The polycarbonate lenses are more substantial than the acrylic lenses from other lights and hopefully should not change clarity over time. Besides they just look really good!! And, Mike D'Amico, who said he engineered them, was very interesting to talk to. YMMV

I spent lot of time at SNF checking out all the Nav/Strobe/Position light options and ended up really impressed with the AeroLED NSPs. Thats what I bought and got a price break there through Wick's booth. With my -6A wingtips I will mount them outside. The polycarbonate lenses are more substantial than the acrylic lenses from other lights and hopefully should not change clarity over time. Besides they just look really good!! And, Mike D'Amico, who said he engineered them, was very interesting to talk to. YMMV

Actually I think you spoke with me (Dean). Mike D'Amico wasn't at Sun n Fun this year... I remember when you came by and spoke with me. Yes, the polycarbonate lenses are coated with a scratch-resistant hard coat that also blocks UV light to keep them from degrading in the sun...

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs LLC

OK. I'll send you back his business card you gave me...

Mike, or Dean, or whomever you are..... But, I'll keep your lights!! :)