tcone1

Well Known Member
Hey there,

I'm finishing the wingtips on my -8. Part number W-412 is the wingtip rib at the trailing edge. The plans call for the flange to face inboard, toward the aileron. I've heard people then fill the opening of the wingtip, so that it is smooth.

My question is, rather than doing it that way, why not put the flange facing outboard. I realize that the rivets will be tougher to buck, but I'm going to over-countersink them and glass them over anyway and might just use pulled rivets and epoxy.

The real question is can I get away with reversing the flange orientation?

Thanks,

Tim Cone

The answer is that sure, you can reverse the rib.

Building it the way the plans show will result in the lightest, easiest to build (i.e. fastest) method, but if you want to reverse it, that's doable.

Aileron Bracket

Just be sure that the outboard aileron bracket fits when you reverse the rib. I filled mine then had to dig it out slightly to make room for it.

Sorry to dumb down the thread but I'm just starting my wings and looking forward a bit. So what "opening in the wingtip that people fill" do you mean??

Just trying to glean as much wisdom early enough to decide how I want to build mine.

Thanks

Grant

not dumbing down

I have seen airplanes that people filled the flanged recesses in the ends of their ailerons, tips and flaps. I don't know if it helps drag-wise or not.

Filling

Hi Tim,

I filled mine by putting the metal rib in as indicated on the plans. I then filled with 1/2" foam using epoxy and microfiller to secure. The outer area was glassed with 2 layers of cloth.

As someone noted, you have to work around the last couple of screw holes for the tip attachment.

Does it do anything? Couldn't tell you but it looks cool and maybe added 3-4 oz per side.