DavidHarris

Well Known Member
Looking for advice about connectors for the wingtip lights.

I have the AeroSun landing light and AeroLED Pulsar nav/strobe lights in my wingtips. I've pulled the wires through conduit in the wings. I'm thinking I'll be prudent to put a connector between the lights and main wire in case I need to take off the wingtips in the future.

I'm not yet too familiar with aviation-grade connectors. I looked at AC 43.13 and it shows lots of connectors but has no advice on pros and cons. Vans mentions D-sub connectors, but I'm not sure if they are locking, and suspect locking connectors are beneficial in a high-vibration environment.

Any tips?

David

IMHO Molex connectors work well for these kinds of connections. Degi-Key is an excellent source (great selection, good pricing, rapid shipment, sells small quantities.)

I have used the Mini and Micro Molex connectors in a number of areas. I have been very happy so far. Both those connectors are positive-latching. You could also use the waterproof automotive connectors, but I think that is overkill outside of the engine compartment.

AMP CPC connectors are a really good choice. At a more economical price point, D-Sub connectors with gold machined pins are also a good choice. I use no backshell on connectors where I can secure the bundle easily, then I use either small zip ties or lacing cord to hold the male and female connector halves together. If I'm concerned about weather sealing, I wrap the entire mated connector assembly with self-fusing silicone tape ("rescue tape" available from ACS).

Do a search and you'll find a lot of opinions. I personally used CPC connectors for the wings but have a few micro molex sprinkled in there. I'm using those predominately around the aircraft.