ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
I'm trying to decide between a Duckworks light in each wing and the "normal" wingtip position/strobe light vs. putting them all in the wingtip ala the Airtech kit. I haven't been able to find if the Airtech kit Van's sells will accomodate all three, however.

There's also the RMD kit, which is pretty spendy, so I'd like to use the Airtech if possible. I just can't bring myself to cut into the leading edges of the wings for the Duckworks kit.

ChiefPilot said:
I just can't bring myself to cut into the leading edges of the wings for the Duckworks kit.

Why? It's super easy. Not saying that I did it was a 'no fear' attitude, but it's not a big deal at all.

Cutting the holes took me about 15 minutes per wing. I rough cut with the Dremel and a 2" cutting disc about 1/8" from the lines. Used 3/4" drum sander in the Dremel for the corners and finished the straights with a palm sander with medium grit sandpaper. Leaves the edges relatively smooth. Final smooth with a Scotchbrite pad and it will look machine made!

Go stand 40-50' in front of an RV with wingtip landing lights. Can you even see the landing lights from there?

Now do the same in front of an RV with Duckworks landing lights.

Just playing devil's advocate.

This post coulden't have come at a better time. I too am debating leadingedge/wing tip landing lights. I was thinking of using HID lights, but would prefer them to be in the wing tips. Anyone happy with landing lights in the wing tips? If not you think HID lights would help?