Don Jones

Well Known Member
I have the creative air wingtip landing lights. I ran them for 10 minutes or so sitting on the bench to see how hot the fiberglass got, and wasn't too surprised to find the surface of the tip to be pretty dang hot. Anyone have any problems with them scorching paint or anything? I realize the glass won't get as hot with airflow over the tips, but I was wondering if a little heat shield was in order?

I fly with the taxi and landing light on all the time and have not seen any issues with the lense. 72 hours of unpainted flight.

I fly with the taxi and landing light on all the time and have not seen any issues with the lense. 72 hours of unpainted flight.

Not really worried about the lense. The front area doesn't seem to get very hot. However the fiberglass above the lamp gets plenty warm.

Halogen Wingtip lights

Don,

I first started with the CreativAir Halogen landing light system and didn't like the heat and the intensity so after 60 hours of use I replaced them with HID replacements from Duckworks. (MR-16 Replacement High Intensity Discharge (HID) 'Xenon' Light). WOW!! It is absolutley one of the best things I have done. Less Heat generation, Extremely bright, Only 3.2 Amps, only adds about 1 pound (Ballast unit). Other than actually seeing the runway at night now, I constantly get feedback from other pilots about how well they can see me daytime or night. Even comments that I light the ramp up like a Heavy. I leave them on all the time now. I couldn't use the current Wig/Wag set up but they are so bright that I don't need them anymore.
http://www.duckworksav.com/Upgrades.html

Good luck.

My experience was the same as Richard's - although I used the the Halogens for probably 700 hours before I went to HID's - never damaged the paint in the slightest. I did have a Nav light slightly melt the Plexiglas cover though....they are worse than the landing lights for heat!

Paul