RVbySDI

Well Known Member
I am working on installation of my wingtips and have some questions. I have read the recent thread on Wing Tip Screws that led to some questions I have.

1. First off, does anyone have a website (or any other written instructions) that details their construction of the wingtips I might review?
  2. Van's instructions call for a strip of aluminum (part # W-931) that is epoxied and riveted across the back of the wing tip in line with the rear spar. What is this strip of aluminum for? Is it providing stiffness or some other need?
  3. The 916 wing tip rib calls for a 2 1/4 hole drilled out. Is this for lightening?
  4. Some have glassed in some Styrofoam stiffeners in the tips to make it more stiff. I have the wing tip nav antennae that I plan to install in the right wingtip. Has anyone installed this with the stiffeners? Would anyone have pictures of their installation of this antennae?

I appreciate any assistance anyone may have on the installation of the wingtips.

Thanks,

My website has step-by-step pictures of how I attached my tips. It is usually at the end of each section (elevators, HS, rudder, etc). I'm always amazed at the installations that require two rows or sets of fasteners. That is more complexity than is needed. When possible, I like to put the screw hole in the aluminum and the nutplate in the fiberglass through an aluminum trip. I also recomment NOT epoxying the joint between the tip and the aluminim. While it might look good at the beginning, it will eventually crack and then chip due to the different expansion characteristics. Personally, I think a neat straight line between the parts looks more professional, but that's just my view.
Wings68.jpg
Wings66.jpg
Wings62.jpg

Last edited:
Wing tip help

Hi Steve,

I sent you my guide to installing wing tips and installing stiffeners to your private email. I am organizing the pictures and will have everything available for publication this weekend.

You'll find it simple and easy. The stiffening process is very simple, light and effective.

Randy and Darwin,

Thanks for the information. I am deciphering all of it now.

I still am confused however concerning the W-931 that Van's calls for. What is the purpose of this strip of aluminum?

Provides form

It provides form for the tip. Without it would be very flexible out there. I have found that it takes some time to fit it so you don't bulge the tip.

Randy and Darwin,

Thanks for the information. I am deciphering all of it now.

I still am confused however concerning the W-931 that Van's calls for. What is the purpose of this strip of aluminum?

Perfect timing. Was thing about using the piano hinge method, anyone have any websites or pictures of one of those?

wing tips

Hi Steve,

I sent you my guide to installing wing tips and installing stiffeners to your private email. I am organizing the pictures and will have everything available for publication this weekend.

You'll find it simple and easy. The stiffening process is very simple, light and effective.

I would love to see the process as well. Could you forward the sent e-mail to me me?
Thanks

Wing tip install guide

Check on the left side of the opening page under articles. I wrote a guide to installing the tips.

I got a call from Christer at Steinair regarding the guide. He said he followed it to the letter and everything worked great!!