mayo3808

Well Known Member
I have a archer antenna in my left wingtip going to a splitter for the 430w G/S and Nav. The ILS seems to work good, but the VOR signal hunts. The VOR comes in but doesn't lock on to the vor it oscillates back and fourth. I have tried several VOR and they do the same thing.
I had and archer in one of my other RV and it worked great, but Nav only. I think the problem maybe splitting the signal for the Nav and G/S. Can the antenna be tuned? are what should I do to correct. Have considered putting cat wiskers but wondered what others have done. Thanks for any help. Brent

Wingtip Antenna

I instaled an Archer VOR antenna in one wingtip and a Marker Beacon antenna in the other wingtip. At first I used a splitter to run two radios off the single VOR antenna but I had problems and changed out the splitter and installed a second antenna. Now I have no problems. I suggest that you first check out the splitter as being the source of your problem. Just bypass it and run to a single radio and if everthing works change it to the second radio and again if everthing works it must be the splitter.

I have a archer antenna in my left wingtip going to a splitter for the 430w G/S and Nav. The ILS seems to work good, but the VOR signal hunts. The VOR comes in but doesn't lock on to the vor it oscillates back and fourth. I have tried several VOR and they do the same thing.
I had and archer in one of my other RV and it worked great, but Nav only. I think the problem maybe splitting the signal for the Nav and G/S. Can the antenna be tuned? are what should I do to correct. Have considered putting cat wiskers but wondered what others have done. Thanks for any help. Brent

I have the same setup as you but instead of using a splitter I made a separate glideslope antenna out of coax as per Ironflights experience. So far it's working great. It's just a length of coax with 16" of the shielding stripped off on one end and a BNC connector on the other. If nothing else, it's an inexpensive idea to try.

Diplexer?

Are you using a Diplexer / Triplexer to separate the VOR and G/S? I've been told that a plain splitter is no good for these two signals.

I ran the antenna out the fuselage under one of the cowl cheeks of my rv4 and down the gear leg under the gear leg fairing. Seems to be working fine. I think others just run up up the roll bar and attach it with velcro.