RV8R999

Well Known Member
Question for those who've gone before:

Cannot find a rear view drawing of flap, aileron and wingtip trailing edge alignment. It seems pretty obvious that the flaps and aileron trailing edge (when viewed from behind) should form a straight line but what about the trailing edge of the wingtip? After hours of fitting, trim, re-fit no matter what I do it appears the wingtip trailing edge will angle downward about 3-5 degrees...the outboard wing skins mate perfectly along the wingtip flange at all locations and is only about 1/16" longer than the aileron trainling edge and is parallel to the aileron when viewed from above.

There are some advantages to having tips that "droop" slightly at the trailing edge but I cannot find a drawing to show this as intentional?

Comments?

Thanks!

Ken

Ken,

What you have is the classic mismatch of the tips - some have it, some don't. The process for alignment is aileron per template, flap to aileron, and then wingtip to match. How to make it match? Slit open the trailing edge and you will find that the upper and lower surfaces slide relative to each other, and you can make them match the aileron. Glass them back together and you're done - except, of course, for the inevitable fiberglass finishing. Many have gone before you....and the edges are supposed to line up!

Paul

Grrrrrr...I was afraid you were going to say that. Ok....out with the dremel tool! Thanks.

Ken

Beauty Costs...How Pretty do you want it?

........After hours of fitting, trim, re-fit no matter what I do it appears the wingtip trailing edge will angle downward about 3-5 degrees...Comments? Thanks! Ken
Ken,

This condition you describe is quite the common occurance. As long as the wingtip misalignment is not too severe, I wouldn't obsess over the matter for very long. Parked on the ramp, ailerons rarely settle into perfect alignment and especially since most RV's are parked flaps down anyway, no one is likely to casually notice. In level flight in my -6A, the outboard trailing edge of both ailerons are approximately 1/4"-3/16" lower than the trailing edges of both wingtips. While I could invest in hours of fiberglass work to bring the tips into alignment, this is nothing more than a cosmetic issue. I find that in reality, my aircraft trims out perfectly. In stable air, my RV will even continue to fly straight and level (hands off) for up to 30 seconds at a time before it inevitably wanders off course. Choose your battles. There will be plenty of other issues to consider before making that first flight.

b5mx40.jpg

wing tip

we put in some west system with the hardner forget the number the high strenth in the tip(.25 inch) then draw a string down the flaps alerions and out to the wing tip wing tip should be as far forward as posibel then move the tip up or down secure with clecos then we cut /grind the tip to be straight as both wings the tip was long all will line up:D