prkaye

Well Known Member
(This was previously posted and moved to "model-specific/9A", but I think the answer to this should apply to all RV models... re-posting in the general forum...)

Question about my wings: what all needs to be done before riveting the bottom skins on the wings. I've got the bellcrank on and pushrods hooked in... looks like these can be torqued and tweaked later through the access panel. I've got wiring conduit which I'll put in prior to closing the wing.

1) What about the pitot-tube and pitot-line? Should these be installed prior to riveting the bottom skins on, or can they be done easily through the access panels and rib lightening holes?

2) The order of things in the plans have you fitting hte ailerons and flaps prior to riveting the lower skins on. Is this necessary? Would like to leave ailerons and flaps off until assembly time.

3) Anything else I need to be sure to do before closing-up the wings?

Phil, I would say anything that needs to go into the wings or done inside the wings should be done with the bottom skins off. Yeah you could probably do it later, but I think you'd regret it. If I remember right (it's been a few years) the aileron bolts go through the rear spar, so yes, they need to be fitted before the skin goes on. (you can remove the aileron after fitting) I did the flaps with all the skins on, so I'm not sure the advantage there.

There are a thousand ways to sequence things, but I recommend pulling all conduit, wires, and pitot/static tubing before closing the wings. I also recommend attaching the wings to the fuselage and rigging the ailerons (and flaps, while you're at it) before closing the wings. Having the skins off will make fitting the push/pull tubes and adjusting the rod end bearings a little easier.

Once you've done that, fit the wingtips and you're ready to paint the wings, ailerons, flaps, and tips and take 'em to the airport so they are out of your way...

What's the hurry? I left mine open until a week before I painted it. The actual riveting goes so quickly, I just left the skins attached with clecoes. It is amazing how many times we change our equipment, ideas, etc., during the building process. I changed autopilot brands, and was very glad I kept things open.

Best advice I got on building was to never rivet unless you simply can't work on anything else without doing so.