osxuser

Well Known Member
I've been busy for a year or two, but I was on Van's website getting ready to order some more parts for the -4. I noticed that the Wing's now have the (*) next to them that indicates prepunched.... That new? my kit sure isn't pre-punched. Is it match hole, or just alignment punched?

Also, need a new rudder and VS, planning on going with an -8 counter-weighted setup, besides weight, anyone care to comment on the folly of that move?

Sometime in the late 90's Vans prepunched the RV-6 wing skins. As I recall it was a $100 option. The 4 is the same wing with with the spar stubs just a little shorter so I assume the skins are the same as the 6 option. No matched hole, just templates for fluting ribs so you don't end up fluting in a rivet position.

If you get the option use the skins as a template for placing the ribs. I remember some guys having problems with the holes in the skin not lining up with rib center lines.

From the comments of others on the board, it would seem the pre-punched wing skin is more trouble that it is worth. If the rib locations you drilled in the spar aren't just right, the skin won't work. The wing skins are so easy to drill I wouldn't bother with the PP.

Hey there Steve

The only thing that was pre-punched on my 6 was the wing skins!

They worked wonderfully and I felt that it was a big help. Just check before hand that all the rib stations on the ribs are placed to match holes in the skins.

Just a precaution, but well worth doing.

Best wishes and have Fun!

Did your kit include the pre-built spars?

The only thing that was pre-punched on my 6 was the wing skins!

They worked wonderfully and I felt that it was a big help. Just check before hand that all the rib stations on the ribs are placed to match holes in the skins.

Just a precaution, but well worth doing.

Best wishes and have Fun!

That would make a big difference...

Did your kit include the pre-built spars?

I know where Colin is going. I would avoid the prepunched skins unless you have total control over the rib positions. I did what Tom did as the only skins punched on my kit where the wing skins as well. You have to check each rib station against the line of holes to make sure they line up before you nail the ribs down. I used the skin as a template to locate the rib then checked the dimmensions against the plans. It worked well for me.

Mine has pre-built spars, which is nice. Although it kinda puts a cramp on modifying the rib spacing for a rocket wing. I'll have to figure something out.