EDog

I finished up my empennage in about 42 days, working a few hours a day. This included all priming prep etc. Wings were orders from Vans a while ago and I was told to expect them by 8th of April. How many approximate hours are in the wing build? Do I need to order all my wires, servos and lighting now? I would like to go LED, any recommendations on components, wiring and AP? I don?t want to get ahead of myself and realize that I forgot to run something during the build process. :)

My wings took about 6 months to build, not including the tips and lower skin riveting, which I did later.

You can hold off on the wiring, lighting, servos. No problem getting them in later.

Buy some of the conduit if you want to run your wiring that way. Other options to buy would be tie down rings, upgraded fuel caps, a quart or two of proseal for the tanks, capacative senders, upgraded pitot tube, hardware for a fuel return line depending on your fuel injection system. I've got the tank leak check stuff (inflation valve and caps) you can borrow when you need it.

Thanks Bruce, I am very excited about getting this thing together. Hows your build coming? Let me know if you need a hand and I can run/fly up the hill.

Eddy,
Still plugging away on the cowling and baffles. Making a little progress every day. Come on by any time.

what i ordered

This was my personalized order for my wing kit:
-float fuel sending units
-fuel tank flop tube (inverted fuel pickup)
-deluxe fuel caps (x2)
-50ft conduit
-Dynon Pitot/AOA probe & mount mast hardware

i also went ahead and ordered the lights to save some shipping:
-AeroLEDs Pulsar NS90 LH & RH pos & strobes
-AeroLEDs Suntail pos & strobe
-duckworks HID 50W xenon landing/taxi lights (x2- one for landing and one for taxi)

did not order any proseal because of its relative low shelf life (due to my slow and eventual building allowances)

I did a total and separate calculation and saved myself about $800-$850 worth of shipping.

If you wave any questions about this, don't hesitate to ask :)
happy building

Last edited:
I would like to do the deluxe fuel caps, do you need to get those before you started the tanks? I looked them up and they say "wont work on QB" but another source tells me that you can adapt them onto any existing tanks. I Also going with inverted fuel in one tank. How do you like the LEDs?

Deluxe caps

I also purchased and installed the deluxe caps. I installed them when I did the tanks as you have to drill them, countersink them, seal them, and so on. I would purchase them now. I couldn't imagine trying to install those now that the tanks are done.

I also bought the Dynon AP servo mounting bracket kit for the roll servo, which has also been fitted. to the wing.

I would like to do the deluxe fuel caps, do you need to get those before you started the tanks? I looked them up and they say "wont work on QB" but another source tells me that you can adapt them onto any existing tanks. I Also going with inverted fuel in one tank. How do you like the LEDs?

I second the above recommendation on installing them first hand instead of having to deal with a built wing and no margin for error, as being so close to fuel components, I consider this a critical system in the build.

The LEDs are very bright and I really do recommend them. They are so bright that they will flash your eyes in daylight. Mounting will also be easier before closing the wings and wingtips

I also bought the Dynon AP servo mounting bracket kit for the roll servo, which has also been fitted. to the wing.

Hi!
Did youE choose to mount this bracket here, or is the wing the recommended place to mount the servo? I've heard that AP roll and pitch servos attach directly to control stick. Am I missing something? :confused: Thanks!

Auto pilot and trim

Hi!
Did youE choose to mount this bracket here, or is the wing the recommended place to mount the servo? I've heard that AP roll and pitch servos attach directly to control stick. Am I missing something? :confused: Thanks!

Miguel, the Dynon autopilot roll servo mounts to the bell crank of the right wing for the roll and the pitch servo mounts in the rear of the fuselage with the elevator pushrod.

http://www.dynonavionics.eu/download/RV7,8,10 Roll Kit Instructions.pdf

The electric trim roll servo will mount just behind the spar box in the floor and the pitch trim servo mounts in the empennage. In picture #1 you can see the mount on the left of the rib for the electric trim servo. I believe the manual trim mechanism goes here as well.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=Don Patrick&project=820&category=7636&log=165799&row=20

Cheers,

Don

Last edited:
thanks

Miguel, the Dynon autopilot roll servo mounts to the bell crank of the right wing for the roll and the pitch servo mounts in the rear of the fuselage with the elevator pushrod.

http://www.dynonavionics.eu/download/RV7,8,10 Roll Kit Instructions.pdf

The electric trim roll servo will mount just behind the spar box in the floor and the pitch trim servo mounts in the empennage. In picture #1 you can see the mount on the left of the rib for the electric trim servo. I believe the manual trim mechanism goes here as well.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=Don Patrick&project=820&category=7636&log=165799&row=20

Cheers,

Don

Thanks! it seems I was mixing apples with potatoes. I will now consider buying the AP servo mount kit as part of the wing kit before closing up mine. :D

Thanks! it seems I was mixing apples with potatoes. I will now consider buying the AP servo mount kit as part of the wing kit before closing up mine. :D

Thanks for the help guys. Ordering parts now based on all the valuable input. I love this site! :):):)

Now would be a good time to decide between Garmin or Dynon. Both now offer autopilots and both offer heated pitot tubes. Both of which can be seamlessly integrated into the build before closing up the bottom skins.

I also recommend installing Aeroleds during the wingtip build. You're on a good pace with the empennage at 42 days. My wings took about 5 months and that included all priming, lighting, wiring, AP, pitot and tips. Your -8 wings are a couple ribs shorter so that can only help the cause.;)

My finish kit arrives tomorrow. I'm down the 5 in San Diego if you ever want to check it out.

exciting!

Yep, remember it well... since it was just last month that I got mine :D Glad to hear you are making good progress - keep pounding those rivets Edog!!