swixtt

Well Known Member
Well, getting set to finish off some of our right wing(left is complete) and after riveting on the leading edge assembly we've noticed in the third bay from the outboard end of the skin has a slight oil-canning depression:(
When we had this all clecoed together nothing was showing any sort of a problem. We pulled all the AN rivets from the affected bay out to the inboard end of the leading edge assembly and everything was flat.... Hmmmm. So we went back and started where we took some out and the same thing happened once we got 20 or so rivets back in.
Has anyone had this happen at all? Sure hate to pull all the AN top skin rivets to spar and the remaining bottom to see it come back. I would do it if I knew I could get that out.

If you are inside the wing already, have a look at the ribs. If the rib flange is not flat to the skin, it may not show when cleco'd, but rivets pull the skin down much tighter to the rib.

Those leading edge nose ribs as a mess. They need SOOO much reshaping to get them to fit that poor fitting LE skins can be the result. This has happened to others. You may have to reshape your LE nose ribs.

Hmm well we already have the assembly attached, especially with the big 4 rivets that go into the spar. All top skin to spar 3 rivets are set also.

Well, getting set to finish off some of our right wing(left is complete) and after riveting on the leading edge assembly we've noticed in the third bay from the outboard end of the skin has a slight oil-canning depression:(
When we had this all clecoed together nothing was showing any sort of a problem. We pulled all the AN rivets from the affected bay out to the inboard end of the leading edge assembly and everything was flat.... Hmmmm. So we went back and started where we took some out and the same thing happened once we got 20 or so rivets back in.
Has anyone had this happen at all? Sure hate to pull all the AN top skin rivets to spar and the remaining bottom to see it come back. I would do it if I knew I could get that out.

You didn't say if it was the top or bottom skin. I had this happen because the spar was mis-punched (confirmed by Van's) slightly. I redrilled the skins slightly oversize and riveted, all confirmed by the factory.

The remaining oil can was apparent in one inspection bay... a couple of stiffeners around the opening fixed this up.

Yes

Yes. Happened to me. I ended up drilling out the rivets
From the problem area outboard. I re-riveted, starting from the
Center and worked outboard to the end of the wing. Fixed the problem.

Well, we pulled all bottom leading edge to spar rivets out and tried again. We thought we had it but right up to the second to last rivet, same thing happened. It wasn't quite as noticeable but we weren't happy with it so we formed up a stiffener and managed to get it drilled, dimpled and set. Almost like the fuel tank one at almost the same rivet line. It is really good now and we are happy. Setting the skins today and should have the inboard one on completely tomorrow.