Don Jones

Well Known Member
Finally finished the wings. Spent the morning tearing down the wing jig and cleaning out the garage to prepare for the fuse build. It should be here next week. Cool, only have to build one of those:D

wings1.jpg

wings2.jpg

wingsdone.jpg

Excellent! Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I should be there in about 2-3 weeks. Right wing is done, both flaps and ailerons are done, left wing just got the top skin on, tech visit next week before putting on the bottom skins...fuse is already here and inventoried.

Man this is fun!

I figured....

Excellent! Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I should be there in about 2-3 weeks. Right wing is done, both flaps and ailerons are done, left wing just got the top skin on, tech visit next week before putting on the bottom skins...fuse is already here and inventoried.
Man this is fun!

.....you were way ahead of me. Guess the extra tanks on yours allowed me to pull ahead. Yes it is fun! I sure am looking forward to the fuse build. It will really start to look like an airplane soon. My fuselage kit was being crated last week, so should be here soon.

Nice... how much time did it take (build hours). I'm just starting my wings(SB) and trying to estimate when I'll need to order the fuse.

I don't keep track of hours.....

Nice... how much time did it take (build hours). I'm just starting my wings(SB) and trying to estimate when I'll need to order the fuse.

......but, I received the wing kit 10 months ago and have managed to work 1 to 2 hours almost every day, with several long days thrown in, so I figure somewhere in the 600-800 hour range. Probably closer to 800:D

.....you were way ahead of me. Guess the extra tanks on yours allowed me to pull ahead. Yes it is fun! I sure am looking forward to the fuse build. It will really start to look like an airplane soon. My fuselage kit was being crated last week, so should be here soon.

The extra tanks probably cost me in the neighborhood of 50 hours, or very close to that. I also had to put the project aside for several weeks while doing a full kitchen remodel to keep the wife happy. Now that I'm done with that, the chase is on again!

As for time spent building the wings, I've got 448 hours in them so far, and probably another 15 before they are completely done. I still need to hang the aileron and flap on the left wing (already built), bottom skins on both, and wiring runs.

Last edited:
Wing wiring runs

Was wondering what the thoughts are regarding wing wiring runs, "conduit" vs no conduit and attaching wires with Adel clamps as they progress out to the wing tips? If conduit what material have you found to be the best for this method?
Frank Bush

Conduit

I used the black corrugated stuff from Van's. It is a pain to install,
but works like a charm once it's in, these contain strobe light, nav light wiring etc. going to the tips. I also used some 1/2" poly tubing in the tooling holes near the spar. These terminate in the belcrank access area and contain the autopilot wiring on the right wing and pitot heat on the left wing. You can do the wiring without the conduit, it is just a much cleaner and more secure way to wire the wings. Conduit also gives you the option of adding wires for future upgrades without a lot of difficulty.

Was wondering what the thoughts are regarding wing wiring runs, "conduit" vs no conduit and attaching wires with Adel clamps as they progress out to the wing tips? If conduit what material have you found to be the best for this method?
Frank Bush
Frank,

Like Don I used Van's conduit, and like Don I found it a pain to install. However, should you ever need to pull a new wire, it is very easy to do.

In my case I did not plan on installing an autopilot, EVER. Then Dynon offered to give me one for free if I joined their Beta Test Program. (I think it would have been cheaper to just buy the thing for all the 100LL I put through my tanks testing it. Still, I had a blast doing all the test flying!)

All I had to do was cut a small hole in the conduit by the bell crank and pull a the wires. (I left a pull wire in my conduit just in case there was some future wire run I had to make.)

Going the adel clamp route would have been a real pain.

(Check the wing page on my site for an easy way to locate all the conduit holes.)

Just my $.02

Don,

Great job on the wings, you will burn right through the fuselage after getting both of those things done!

Yup - conduit is the way to go, I'm using the black corrugated stuff from Vans. It is indeed a pain to get in place, but then it's way easy to run wires through. I already installed the wiring for the right wing, here's a shot of the auxiliary tank transfer pump power and aux tank fuel level sender coming out of a slit cut in the conduit.

Notice the separate holes in the ribs up near the spar - this is for the nav/comm coax to keep them separate from noisy power and strobe wires.

1001716f.jpg

I used the Van's tubing and found I can poke the wires through without any problems at all. I also ran a second conduit line for the autopilot wiring to have seperation between the high voltage strobe wiring and the potentially sensitive AP wiring.