Propilot

I am installing the wires and tubing in my RV8 wings. I was originally going to put connectors at the wing roots to accommodate wing removal. Since any break and connection is a point for failure I am now planning to run all wires clean. How much wire should I allow to make the entire run to the instrument panel and switches? 5', 6', 8' ??? Thanks

A lot more than you'd think.... I think I left about 12-15', and then I had to extend a few. You've really got to work out where everything's got to go, how you can get there, measure it, then add a few feet. I did this and still had to extend a few, particularly to my "forest of ground tabs" on the firewall. Trouble is you'll think a certain routing will work, then install another piece of hardware and discover you must re-think wire routing... I put d-sub plugs in the wing root...

I installed the wings and then pulled in the wires from the tips using VAN's ball of cotton on a string trick. It was neat and orderly.
Then I pulled in each wire thru the fuselage, thru the spar truss and to the switch panel, with a foot of spare. Be careful about that. I found that wire seems to get shorter as you tie and clamp them down...
I left enough service loop to allow cutting those wires and adding a plug if I ever take the wings off.