jcoloccia

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to drill all the holes in the ribs and I'm wondering what you guys think of the current plan:

Vans conduit in the recomended location on both wings for wingtip light, antenna coax, Duckworks. On the left wing, use the snap bushing for the pitot tube (per the plans) and right under it install a 1/4" grommet in the tooling hole for heated pitot wiring (1/4" may be too big...it's the gretz so it has a bunch of extra wires for their panel indicators).

On the right wing, use a 1/4" grommet in the tooling hole for a TruTrak servo. I measured this out and I think this will allow it to clear the aileron bellcrank (it'll go right under it.

Does this sound right?

Also, I'm curious why everyone make forms and templates for drilling the ribs for the conduit? Why does it need to be so precise? The stuff is quite flexible and I can't imagine that a 1/8" misalignment would matter much. What am I missing here?

Planning

Although you could put the conduit on the side or bottom side, the bottom is the easiest to make the entry into the fuselage. Gotta think it out because there is so little room behind the spar between the wing and fuselage. By using the bottom location you are out of the way of the aileron pushrod. Also consider where the pitot tubing will route. Much better to figure out now than when you put the wings on and realize there is a gotcha.

I used a Unibit to drill the holes. Also have connectors at the fuselage for the antennas and other wiring. Much easier when removing.

Good luck.

jcoloccia said:
Also, I'm curious why everyone make forms and templates for drilling the ribs for the conduit? Why does it need to be so precise? The stuff is quite flexible and I can't imagine that a 1/8" misalignment would matter much. What am I missing here?
It's the "if you're gonna do it, do it well" thing kicking in. For the 15 minutes or 15 days or whatever while the bottom skins are off and you can see that conduit run in there, if you see it zigging and zagging and that doesn't bother you, then you are a bigger man than me. ;)

In actuality, I don't think it matters one bit as long as you can feed wires through.

To RV7 Guy

What kind of connectors did you at the wing /fuse? Do you have any pictures and type of wire etc.

I was planning on a TruTrack A/P and thought I might put the actuator in the fuse. Any problem?

I am to get my QB RV9A this week and I know nothing about wiring!

Cleve
Sorry to but in but you all seem to know so much!

Connectors

cleve_thompson said:
What kind of connectors did you at the wing /fuse? Do you have any pictures and type of wire etc.

I was planning on a TruTrack A/P and thought I might put the actuator in the fuse. Any problem?

I am to get my QB RV9A this week and I know nothing about wiring!

Cleve
Sorry to but in but you all seem to know so much!

I used BNC connectors for the antennas. 2 in the left wing and 1 in the right. The Landing/Position/Strobe power wires were connected with 3 pin Molex. I am using the Aeroflash strobes with the power supply mounted on the tip rib so I only need to run a power wire. The L/P/S were locally grounded at the tips. All connectors were wrapped with silicon tape before the wing was pushed into final position.

My Trutrak AP roll servo is mounted in the fuselage in the first bay in from the side, so no issues there. If you wanted to use a connector for the autopilot a 9 pin D sub would work fine.

I had no previous wiring experience except with my RC stuff. I had some guidance and followed the advice of "one wire at a time." I also used the Approach Systems wiring hub which saved time.

I don't think I would have been successful without tapping the knowledge and wisdom of those who have been there. There is virtually nothing you can come up with that hasn't been experienced by someone on the list and arrived at a solution.

Good luck.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing, cept I'm planning to run the Tru Trak servo wires in the same conduit as everything else. Then duck out of the conduit at that point in the wing run.

Bob Collins said:
I'm doing pretty much the same thing, cept I'm planning to run the Tru Trak servo wires in the same conduit as everything else. Then duck out of the conduit at that point in the wing run.
How do you plan to duck out of the conduit? I need to do the same for my LE light, or else go around the end rib. Was wondering how to make a clean hole without any sharp edges, etc. I thought about cutting an elongated hole so that the wires can curve out gracefully and either try to make sure the edges are smooth, or line it with rubber edging, OR, drill a round hole and throw a grommet in there. Anyone want to jump in here?

AntiGravity said:
How do you plan to duck out of the conduit? I need to do the same for my LE light, or else go around the end rib. Was wondering how to make a clean hole without any sharp edges, etc. I thought about cutting an elongated hole so that the wires can curve out gracefully and either try to make sure the edges are smooth, or line it with rubber edging, OR, drill a round hole and throw a grommet in there. Anyone want to jump in here?

I just planned on going around the tip rib. The light's in the very last bay so it only adds a few inches to the run.

Timing of this thread is perfect !

Does anyone have any issues with running a Whelen strobe cable down the same conduit as the wires to the Digitrak servo ?

Planning on using plain conduit and burning a hole in the side with a soldering iron where I need exits then sanding smooth.

AntiGravity said:
How do you plan to duck out of the conduit?
Jeff,

I've been thinking about that myself. I might try these things...

wire-loom-tee-animated.gif

It's a nice, clean way to bring wires out of the conduit.

There's more info at http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/wire-loom-tees.htm

Dave

I was planning to just make a hole, stick a grommet in there, run the wires out and then put a blob of RTV in there. My concerns was the sharp edges of the conduit.