zkvii

Well Known Member
Hi,

We have landing / taxi lights and wing wag parts. From a switches - control perspective I see a couple of different possible options:

1) 3 indvidiual switches, WW, Land, Taxi - full flexibility / control
2) 1x 3 pos switch, Off, WW, Both.

Any comments / thoughts for only having 'both' - I'm trying to think of a situation where only taxi or landing light was wanted (and not WW).

Option 2 is obviously lighter / simpler / less panel space.

Cheers,

Carl

Wig wag only the landing lights.... 3-way switch (Off, On, WW). Have the taxi lights on a seperate switch (Off, On). I can see no reason for WW on taxi lights.

I installed Wig Wag on my landing lights, but before you decide how to wire yours, make sure you understand the wiring requirements for the one you have. There are several Wig Wag systems out there.
Mine required a separate power lead to power the relay, as well as a main power to the lights, so I really wanted two switches. I used one switch to control the landing lights and one to control the WW. If the Landing Light switch is off and the WW switch is off, nothing happens. If the Landing Light switch is off and the WW switch is on, then the lights flash. If I turn on the Landing Light switch, the lights stay constant, whether or not the WW switch is on or off. This allows me full control of the Landing Lights, no matter what.
The actual wiring of the switches is rather thought provoking, especially if you're not used to wiring switches together, so I could email you a copy of the diagram if you're interested.

wiring options

I'm using Eric's stand along module - I can wire it / switches as needed for any of the combinations. The WW will probably have power (even in the 'off' state) as this provides a keep warm trickle through the filaments (as I understand it).

I have TWO lights (DW - landing & taxi) one in each wing LE, so the 'wag mode' will be side to side. I've done ground operations when a dual wing flasher has been used, and missed the aircraft infront of it....

Carl

I used the Knuckolls wig-wag flasher sold on the B-C site. It's basically a turn signal flasher but works great. I used two 3-position toggle switches, one is for the landing light, the other the taxi light. Both switches full aft is both lights off. Both switches in the center position is wig-wag, both switches full forward is both lights on. Or I can turn on either light seperately but placing the appropriate switch in the full forward position.

I cannot think of a time that I did not operate both switches simultaneously. If I where to do it again I'd use a single switch as I did for my strobes and nav lights. That one is a 3-position switch, full aft is off, middle is strobes on, full forward is strobes + nav lights.

I'm trying to think of a situation where only taxi or landing light was wanted (and not WW).

I have separate switches, as well as a dedicated WW switch. When taxiing at night (taildragger), I generally turn the landing light off. It is aimed too high to be of much use with the tail down, and is potentially annoying to others operating on the airport.

Not a big deal really, but I like the individual control.

FWIW I have Eric's wig-wag, which works perfectly and I get a lot of comments on it. The slower rate is more visible than the JC Whitney variety and more reliable.

James Freeman

svanarts said:
That one is a 3-position switch... full forward is strobes + nav lights.

I don't mean to nit-pick your way of doing things... but this method is gonna annoy other pilots if you fly much at night; that is, when you're taxiing at night with your nav lights on, the strobes will be flashing away, blinding everyone else taxiing nearby. Not cool.

On the ground at night, nav lights on, strobes off.