g zero

Well Known Member
Just ordered my wings , Fuselage complete ,gear and tail fitted. What do the wing tips that come with the kit look like ? What options are out there if I delete mine ? I just received my order conformation and need to sign and return it .
Thanks, Tom

3 styles of "stock" wing tips

The RV-8 has had 3 different styles of wing tips.

The original wingtips look just like the RV-4 and RV-6 wing tips. They have a 90-degree sweep side edge (parallel to flight direction) and give a wing span of 23 ft. I don't think they have much of any provision for lights, so I think you end up building on a small fairing to mount a nav light out in the wind (rather than inside a lens). One cool feature of these tips that builders often add is that because they are fairly flat on top, you can put an access hatch in them and have storage space for a few soft/light-weight things, like canopy cover, a coat, maybe a sleeping bag.

The next generation of wing tips have an angled side edge, I'm not sure what the actual sweep angle is, but something like 80 degrees. There is a provision for a small nav light in the radiused transition from the leading edge to the side edge. Most noticeable about this 2nd-generation tip is that the trailing edge curves aft and meets the side edge at a point behind the wing. These give a wing span of 24 ft.

The third, current wing tip design also has the 80-degree sweep side edge (or whatever the actual sweep angle is). It has a larger provision for nav lights and landing light in the "corner" and has a straight trailing edge that matches the wing trailing edge. These give a wing span of 24 ft.

There is some discussion and experience posted in some other threads here that you can search for about which tip is faster, better. I think the 23 ft tips probably give a slightly higher top speed, at least at low altitude (might not be noticeable relative to other builder variations). Surprising to me is that people dont seem to find the greater wing span to improve climb or reduce stall speed. Whether this is also "in the noise", I don't know.

There are, of course, also various home-built wing tips of various shapes.

Last edited: