WingedFrog

Well Known Member
How did you do that bending? I am kind of puzzled in front of this page :confused::
- First how do you build the bending tool with a 0.063 radius? Even in a block of wood this ain't piece of cake with just hand tools
- Then how do you measure angles with this king of accuracy: 35 deg, 31 deg, etc... What kind of tool do I need or did I miss it in the tool kit?
I feel trouble ahead..:eek: Please Help!

How did you do that bending? I am kind of puzzled in front of this page :confused::
- First how do you build the bending tool with a 0.063 radius? Even in a block of wood this ain't piece of cake with just hand tools
- Then how do you measure angles with this king of accuracy: 35 deg, 31 deg, etc... What kind of tool do I need or did I miss it in the tool kit?
I feel trouble ahead..:eek: Please Help!

I believe the radius must be one of these Van's jokes. Just ignore it, or that's at least what I did. Just reduce the edge a bit to smoothen it and that should be fine. The angles differences that might matter are measured in the double digits not in single digits. If it is 35 or 31 or similar is academic as it does not matter.
I used a digital protractor that I used as a visual reference to get the tab close to that angle. That's it. I did not have to change the angle of any of the tabs except for the most forward one to have a great fit. The most forward one should get bent to provide a nice matching surface and a nice closeout with the rest of the wingtip.

Thanks Guys!

I already feel better. Good to know that the VANs instructions should be taken with a grain of salt... sometimes!
Marty your Blog is a jewel and the pictures you took while closing the wings will be a big help, thanks a lot! I also noted that you flipped the wing to install W-1204D which is not mentioned in the manual but makes lots of sense to work comfortably on this delicate fitting :cool: