Veetail88

Well Known Member
I need a quick help.

I'm away from my project for a few days and I'd like to get an order out for nutplates for my wing tips.

Can someone get me a count?

Those little buggers are expensive and I don't want to buy twice as many as I'll need.

Thanks in advance:)

Hi Jesse.

I've got 38 (per wing)

Chris

I need a quick help.

I'm away from my project for a few days and I'd like to get an order out for nutplates for my wing tips.

Those little buggers are expensive and I don't want to buy twice as many as I'll need.

Last edited:
Like nuts, bolts and screws

I need a quick help.

IMHO the shipping, handling, ordering hassle and delivery time has bitten me where I sit down. I now consider nutplates consumable items. Perhaps you might consider having extra nut plates on hand so you don't have to learn the hard way like me.

Also, Phillips head screws, especially SS, are particularly vulnerable and have finite life expectancy (think: one cam-out and they are junk). I think Pierre Smith, a frequent and knowledgeable contributor to this forum has changed his aircraft to internal torx-head screws.

LarryT

I gave up on stainless screws (phillips head) for just about everything in my plane.

Here is a little tip to make screws last a lot longer.

Go to the local hardware store, and get a wax ring for a toilet. Be sure it is one made with beeswax. Use a toothpick or other small thingie to put a small dab of beeswax into each nutplate, before you insert the screw.

The difference it makes will amaze you.

By the way, the 10 uses close to 90 screws for the two wing tips, as I recall.

I pre-lube the screws that go into nutplates with antisieze compound. I just touch the threaded end of the screw against the antisieze brush, hardly any at all. Stripped philips heads are reduced.
I've read that other builders have run a tap into each platenut, but that sounds like a lot of time and work. The wax (or Boelube) or antisieze works for me.
I just bought a bunch of K1000-06 for the wingtips, $.51 ea! $38.76!! Although I think pop rivets are OK, The wingtips have a lot of 'stuff' in them these days: position lights, strobes, antennae, maybe the landing light, remote compass, someone put the auto pilot servo in the tip too.

I vote for the torx

I used SS torx screws on every faster on the outside of the airplane (yes including the tanks) and I've never regretted that decision.

Have (so far) pulled +5 and -2.6G during an inverted spin (probably not with full tanks)..

The SS screws are just fine..:)

frank

I need a quick help.

I just did this on my 7, its 38 a tip, grab a few extra while you are at it. I used #6 size screw, normal Cad.