avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Quick question. When riveting the HORIZONTAL rib in the wing tip are there any special precautions to apply when using the mushroom set of the rivet gun on the fiberglass? I am concerned about cracking the fiberglass when bucking the rivets for the rib.

Peter K
9A

Just go easy and don't drive it any more than necessary. It will be fine.

Quick question. When riveting the HORIZONTAL rib in the wing tip are there any special precautions to apply when using the mushroom set of the rivet gun on the fiberglass? I am concerned about cracking the fiberglass when bucking the rivets for the rib.

Peter K
9A

Assuming none of this is concerning structure.

Do not use AD rivets, use "A" they are softer and better suited for this purpose.

I used nutplates and screws.

I assume you are referring to the small rib adjacent to the aileron. I set mine so the rib flanges were to the outside, facing the aileron, countersunk the rivet holes in the fiberglas tip, and used a squeezer with a 1" no hole yoke. A little filler made the rivets disappear.

Roberta

I assume you are referring to the small rib adjacent to the aileron. I set mine so the rib flanges were to the outside, facing the aileron, countersunk the rivet holes in the fiberglas tip, and used a squeezer with a 1" no hole yoke. A little filler made the rivets disappear.

Roberta

Yep... same here, worked out great!

I assume you are referring to the small rib adjacent to the aileron....

He has a 9A, so he is probably referring to the additional metal rib spanning the tip. You can't use a squeezer on those rivets.

I used about 30 lbs of pressure on the rivet gun. You really have to be two people to do that. No cracks. I used regular rivets, but it does not look as nice as I had hoped. Will probably redo some of the rivets with soft rivets.