gottawork

Well Known Member
Questions:
Do the old flat top wing tips and the new style tips use the same tip rib?
Part numbers, please?

Thanks in advance,
Lorne

Just a data point - 7

My 7 drawings show W-709 leading edge rib and W-712 as the aft outboard rib. There is a L and R for these based on the flange direction. The left wing is R and right wing L :eek:

No help from me on the profile, sorry.

The old flat top tip RV-6 plans call for a W-412 part as the aft small tip rib and it is the same part left and right.

Flip it over so the flanges face inwards for riveting.

The "L" and "R" refers to the direction of the flange, not which side of the aircraft it is used on.

Mel, not the case with the W-712 parts.

Check out "The list" on vansaircraft.com.

There is only one W-612 part listed, but the later W-712 parts are listed two items, left and right.

The -6 plans with the W-612 parts do not identify L & R....:)

Not sure what the discrepancy is. I just looked at my -7 plans and they show 3 "outboard ribs W-712" on each wing and the -R and -L refers to the direction of the flange.

Last edited:
Not sure what the discrepancy is. I just looked at my -7 plans and they show 3 "outboard ribs W-712" on each wing and the -R and -L refers to the direction of the flange.

Correct... I think I (we?) are mixing up wing ribs vs. the small, short rib that is riveted inside the fiberglass tip.

If that is the case, then the -7 plans and -6 plans both call out a W-412 for the stub rib inside both old and new wing tip styles. :)

I think that is what the OP question was about.

The "L" and "R" refers to the direction of the flange, not which side of the aircraft it is used on.

Understood, Mel, that is why the -R goes on the LEFT wing. I think that is what I typed :confused: