avee8tor13

Well Known Member
How does the wing tip nav antenna performance compare to the whisker antenna on top of the vert stab? It will be used with an SL-30.

tip is great

I can't compare them, but the SL-30 and the wingtip Archer com antenna is the best I've ever used. Com needs normal antenna IMHO.

I can't compare them, but the SL-30 and the wingtip Archer com antenna is the best I've ever used. Com needs normal antenna IMHO.

What he said ;-)

The wingtip antenna/SL30 in my RV-8 outperforms the certified G430/external setup in our Cirrus for VOR reception.

wingtip mount

on my 9A with VAL INS422 works really great. I have always been amazed at how well it performs. TIP... save a buck and build your own archer style antenna. Dirt simple, and takes about 45 minutes. I have VOR/GS in left tip, and marker antenna (copper strip) in the right. Stick with a belly whip for your com, and a lollipop for your Xponder. The general consensus is that the wingtip comm works OK, but the centered ground plane of a belly whip yields superior performance. There are many posts here about the subject. Also note, if you use a wingtip mount, your ILS will be a wings length to the right or left. I can "tune" this out real easy on the 422 by using the nifty centering adjustment screw that is available on the front panel of the 422, and can dial it in while the plane flies the approach. I don't know if that is possible on the SL30. Anyway, wingtip navs work great in our planes as many have discovered.
HTH,
Chris

How does the wing tip nav antenna performance compare to the whisker antenna on top of the vert stab? It will be used with an SL-30.

I have an Archer VOR antenna in my right wing tip which is attached to my SL30. From an altitude of 7 or 8000' in the midatlantic states, I consistently see the CDI come alive at a range of 80 - 90 nm.

Also, ILS localizer and glide slope reception is solidly reliable. I'm very pleased and haven't even considered a whisker antenna.

Mike

Left tip better than right for IFR?

I've heard it mentioned before that if using for IFR, you might get better reception if you mount the nav ant in the left wing tip since most approaches are left turn based. Anyone know if that is true or is that an old wise tale?

Why are you guys choosing the right over left? Also, since most people mount their A/P roll servo in the right wing, wouldn't there be more room to run the coax in the left?

I've heard it mentioned before that if using for IFR, you might get better reception if you mount the nav ant in the left wing tip since most approaches are left turn based. Anyone know if that is true or is that an old wise tale?

Depends on from which direction they vector you to the localizer, I'd say. :)

mcb