Charles in SC

Well Known Member
The little paper instruction sheet that came with my lens hardware calls for a screw in the upper and lower corner of each lens. Is that it? just the two screws holding on each lens?
Thanks !

Yep...

That is it. We just put ours in this way and it seems to work fine. I have a friend that put three screws on each side thinking it would be more secure, but it just rippled in between each screw. I would have probably done the same thing if I had not seen his.

I decided they needed more screws and regret doing it. As 24Golf said, it is hard to get the edges to lay flat with extra screws. One of the things I learned on this project (I learned it more than once, by the way:eek:), was to be careful about doing things differently than Van's instructions. There are certainly some areas that can be improved, but many times there are unforeseen consequences.:eek:

$.02 worth

2 not enough for me

I was not comfortable with just the 2 screws called for in the plans. I used 5 on top and 5 on the bottom.

I don't recall any puckering problem but then again I did some fairing (using a light West System mix) around the lenses to get as close to a perfect fit as I could.

The Val has two screws on each lens, and over 1,000 hours. My old Grumman had a similar design, but more screws, and they lens always wanted to pucker between screws.

Paul