sglynn

Well Known Member
Question, how do you fasten aluminum sheets inside the wing tip cut out where position lights go? I see some of you have put aluminum on the two faces of the wing tip cutout and I don't see any fasteners. One of the plates can be held on with the light but the other isn't. Are you gluing them on? If so with what? Resin/hardner? Epoxy? Pro-Seal?

thanks

aluminum plates

I used nut plates in I think, 3 locations to secure the plate. I created a template with paper, cut the aluminum and then bent it at the right location - 1 piece looks better....... You will need to drill holes in it so the wires for the strobes can feed thru the plate. Nice reflective surface for the strobe.:cool:

I used .015 stainless and used the screws for the landing light for one side and the strobe / nav light for the other... Without the landing light, one screw at the outboard edge would do...

Last edited:
i went a different direction, I used fiberglass and then covered them with chrome monokote trim from the hobby shop.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

wing tip cut out covers

Thanks for the good ideas. I wish I had thought of the one piece instead of two which I've already cut and shaped to fit. I did try the plexi with mirror reflective film, but the film didn't look very good. I'm thinking of polishing the aluminum. I didn't try monokote, but I still might.
thanks. Sounds like if I glue Pro-Seal is a good idea.
thanks