CDBridgesRV7A

Good Day,

I'm about to start the wing ribs. As I was reading ahead in the plans they started talking about landing lights and what you should be considering at this stage of the build process.

Has anyone used either the Duckworth leading edge landing lights or the wingtip landing lights supplied by Vans for the 7/8's?

If so can you comment on the light intensity on the one that you use? Is it adequate enough or would you prefer something brighter? Is there another brand out there that may be better that would fit in with the wing tip?

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers

Chris

I have the leading edge round light and started with the complete kit from Vans. They were 100 watt bulbs but I have now replaced the bulbs (H3) with HID 55 watt from DDM Tuning.com for $55 totals. The HID are really bright and draw less than half the amps than the 100 halogens that cam with the kit. The DDM Tuning site is easy to use and you can order based on bulb type and wattage/color. Install was easy easy
N174MT

I have wingtip lights on my 9A. They are the kind that shine through a hole in the circuit board that holds my LED navigation lights. I worried a lot about the angle and whether they would provide enough light right out front.
I finally did some night flying to test them awhile back and was pleased with the amount of illumination they provided. I had no trouble making three landings on a fairly dark night with relatively weak runway lighting.

Neal P.

RV-9A Flying sweet!

Wingtips as well

I run 55W halogens in the wingtips, they work OK. Having put HID lights in the car though I must say they are superb.

The only thing I don't like about the HID's is that the ballast unit is a little heavy for my liking.

Frank