LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
I'm following some instructions for installing the wingtips on the 7A -- which I think I found around here somewhere. It says to use "bead foam" to make and impression of the wing tip rib. I'm not familiar with "bead foam." What is it?

Simple stuff

Hey Bob,

You can get it at Home Desperate or (S)Lowes. Press it against the tip skins to get an impression then cut out.

Work the template until it fits. When done put a couple of chordwise runs of duct tape on it to stiffen things.

Also on the opening page, look under "articles," on the left side, for my two part series on installing the wing tips. Should help take some of the work out of it.

Bob

Before making a foam rib take a look at my log (Wing Tips 2 has my solution). I used a Sat Nav holder with a suction cup and used that to pull the wing tip up as I drilled.

Regards

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk
90% done 90% to go

I too am using those instructions

Bob, i am using Darwin's instructions as well. Got the first tip drilled yesterday. Great stuff. Thanks, Darwin! The white foam is what was used as packing in some of the kits from Van's. I saved some just knowing I would need it. One thing to look out for, I made two of the alignement pieces that go over the trailing edge as per instructions, but when clamping, didn't notice that it move the aileron not the tip to line up. I now have 1/4" low tip on my wife's side of the plane. :D everything else has been great. Even made the two Drimle tools. Bought from some already tapered grinding stone from Lowe's Aviation Dept and modified them.

I now have 1/4" low tip on my wife's side of the plane. :D everything else has been great. Even made the two Drimle tools. Bought from some already tapered grinding stone from Lowe's Aviation Dept and modified them.

You know when I use that aileron bellcrank, that's about how much play there is in the aileron for me. After 10 years of building, while my attention to detail has now reached the OCD stage, my concern about 1/4" seems to be ebbing. :D