When I attached the wing tip close-out (Page 17-06) I was surprised to see how much the bottoms of the V-shaped notches showed around the perimeter of the wing tip close-out where the bent tabs are located. I noticed Jim Cone's build picture (http://picasaweb.google.com/JimCone1941, 4-29-08, photo 4) shows the same thing (especially if you enlarge the photo) but not quite as bad as mine. I encountered the same problem (but to a lesser extent) when attaching the Forward Wing Tip Rib (Step 5, Page 17-05). I talked to Van's Ken Scott who looked at the company's RV-12 and said their Forward Wing Tip Rib looked similar. Anybody else encounter this problem with the bottom of the V-Shaped notches showing? More importantly, as I complete my second wing, is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks,

Denny Myrick

Don't think you can avoid this

Denny:

Given that the notches are precut and the holes all pre-punched, I don't think there is any way to avoid nor minimize this on either the close-out or the tip rib. Mine looks the same as you describe and every picture I have seen from other builders looks the same as well.

Wing Tip

Hi Denny,

That is the nature of this design. If you wanted to fill those areas you
could probably use an appropriate rtv caulking prior to painting. Sam

Denny

Welcome to VAF

This is a timely thread. I was wondering the same thing. I don't have my wing kit yet. Could you lay up some fiberglass on the inside or is the wing closed? This would allow a little filler prior to panting.

Denny

Welcome to VAF

This is a timely thread. I was wondering the same thing. I don't have my wing kit yet. Could you lay up some fiberglass on the inside or is the wing closed? This would allow a little filler prior to panting.

Good thought. This is the last skin (appropriately enough called the close-out skin) so too late for me to incorporate your fiberglass suggestion. Might be worth other builder's consideration.

Denny Myrick

Guys- You need to keep in mind that, by definition, this is a 120 kt. airplane. From an aerodynamic standpoint, the openings and gaps in the airframe won't make one iota of difference. If you're out to win some award at Oshkosh- well, that's a whole different set of criteria. Steve

Good thought. This is the last skin (appropriately enough called the close-out skin) so too late for me to incorporate your fiberglass suggestion. Might be worth other builder's consideration.

Denny Myrick

I was afraid of that. I have not started yet, just ordered it.

Denny Myrick

Unless you intend to certify as an E-LSA. If so, you will have a problem if the inspector notices that it is not part of the construction manual.

As another point...If I may be so bold...Building an airplane is largely an attitude.
The attitude for building a lightweight class of airplane (even more so than the other RV models) should be to keep it light weight. Adding weight for marginal (if any) cosmetic bennefit is not an attitude of keeping it light. An LSA class of airplane has a designated maximum gross weight of 1320 lbs. Every single ounce that you add over and above what is necessary is in essence a subtraction from the airplanes useful load.
If you intend to certify experimental amateur built and you don't care if the airplane can ever be flow by a sport pilot, then modify as you wish. But if you intend to operate the airplane as a light sport aircraft and you want good performance and utility (useful load) then keep it light.

Even if you do not plan to meet the certification requirements for E-LSA, every modification / weight addition should be considered very carefully. It will effect the end performance. People that end up with heavy airplanes don't do it intentionally, it happens from building with the wrong attitude and adding a little here, little there...oops, how could it weight that much!

Hi Denny,

That is the nature of this design. If you wanted to fill those areas you
could probably use an appropriate rtv caulking prior to painting. Sam

Do NOT use RTV if you are going to paint. You will never get the silicone off and your paint will not stick, no matter what you do. Silicone and paint do not mix, period!

Wing tip close out

Really good points, on weight, painting and not adding unnecessary
'bits'. We should have neon signs in the workshop to remind us.
SR

"Simplicate and Add Lightness"

Large sign on the wall at Rhino Restorations:

"Simplicate and Add Lightness"

Not original with us, but every ounce you add to your RV-12 detracts from the capabilities of the aircraft.

- TT (Tom Tyson)

People that end up with heavy airplanes don't do it intentionally, it happens from building with the wrong attitude and adding a little here, little there...oops, how could it weight that much!

Good info, and a good mind set to have when building an airplane.

However, much weight reduction can come from the pilot (and passenger) knowing when to back away from the food table. Loosing "pilot pounds" can go along way to adding little things to the airplane that make it more esthetically pleasing. Besides, some pilots weigh 275# pounds, some weigh 150# or less.

I think Vans should leave the tabs blank w/out the holes so you could push the piece in far enough that the notches don't show, then match drill the hole.

I think Vans should leave the tabs blank w/out the holes so you could push the piece in far enough that the notches don't show, then match drill the hole.

Pushed in far enough to hide the notches would produce a very sharp edge around the wing tip. Other builders may consider that undesirable. Every airplane that leaves the ground is 100's of compromises flying in formation.

Hi

Some time has passed since the last post on this thread and lots of RV's completed.

I am interested in what has been used and how sucessfully to close these gaps.

I would like to close mine purely to prevent water from entering the wing.

regards
Reilly

Last edited:
I recently completed my wings and thought the same - very agricultural! Yesterday I saw my first completed RV12 at Barton airfield in England. It's a lovely example, painted all over blue. What struck me was that after painting, those little gaps are not so noticeable. I will be leaving mine as is and accepting Van's wisdom in adding lightness :)

You can't see those gaps from the cockpit - so don't stand around looking at them - get in and fly it!

Cheers
Shirley

I accept that depending on the paint colour they may not be noticeable but they will still let water in to lie in the wing.