szicree

Well Known Member
What have most folks used to attach the wing tips? I'm planning on stainless screws with nutplates. I'm figuring I'll epoxy in a strip of .025 and then rivet the nutplates through the glass and metal. Sound ok? Any better ideas out there?

I simply put #6 nutplates in place of the screw locations called out on the plans (in my case prepunched) with no backing. It worked just fine on the 9A tips.

akarmy said:
I simply put #6 nutplates in place of the screw locations called out on the plans (in my case prepunched) with no backing. It worked just fine on the 9A tips.

Me too. I think the backing is only needed to keep pop rivets from pulling through. The nutplate provides a nice piece of steel to keep the rivets from pulling through the fiberglass.

That would sure be good news since there's nothing more fun than snipping my way through 4 feet of aluminum, except maybe trying to epoxy it in place.

I installed my tips with blind rivets 13 years ago and have never had a reason to remove them. My strobe power supplies are mounted behind the landing lights.
Mel...DAR

szicree said:
That would sure be good news since there's nothing more fun than snipping my way through 4 feet of aluminum, except maybe trying to epoxy it in place.

That's what a shear is for! :eek:

That said, I didn't bother with the aluminum strip like many people do. As others have said, the nutplate serves the purpose. Just took my wing tips off for condition inspection and carefully inspected that area for any signs of stress. None found!