wmjack

I'm getting ready to pick up a 9A project in the next couple of weeks. The wings and empennage are completed so they will need to be stored while I work on the fuse. I'm space constrained so I was thinking about hoisting the wings to the shop rafters and as we did with bulky but light weight items at sea. Doing so would get the wings up out of harm's way and give me more working room on the shop floor.

The rigging is pretty straightforward with strapping surrounding the wing structure and connected to a set of blocks to obtain purchase. I was just wondering if anyone has tried that type of in-shop wing storage before and, if so, do you have any tips? Specifically I'm looking for wing weights & storage requirement dimensions, lifting strap sizes, padding, lashing, etc. Photos would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Jack Hlditch
9A project - deposit paid
Pickup slated for Dec. 4th

This method of wing storage is pretty common. Most things to look out for are common sense items. Keep the anchors out away from the leading and trailing edges so that you are not putting strain on them. Think about your shop lighting.
Will it hang down beyond the wings?
Probably the most dangerous part is getting them up and down. Make sure you have plenty of help. Wings don't do too well with 8' drop testing.