captainron

Well Known Member
Allright, so we wused-out and ordered a QB-7 kit and from looking at the preview plans they say we should build wing stands for storage and for working on the wings. The plans say to just trace a rib for the required cradle profile. Hmmm. Well, I'm guessing that the ribs will already be in the wings when they arrive.
Plus, I'd kinda like to have the stands made before the wings get here. So, if anyone might have the needed rib profile full-size on paper and could mail it to me I would be forever grateful. (Well, maybe not forever!)
I'll even accept coffee spills, as long as the dimensions aren't changed.
Thanks much.

Ron- I don't have pictures but I'll try to 'splain a neat wing cradle I've seen...
Instead of the wing rib cut-outs at one end and a stand to clamp the spars to at the other end, it uses fabric slings to hold the wings. The stand may have been wider than the rigid type,to allow the wings to lean toward the center upright. I think it also used firehose for the slings, but I'm sure any strong fabric (or garden hose?) that won't rot away would be fine.
This is the best "drawing" I can come up with...

...............................I
............................../"\
............................/.."..\
......................."\../..."...\../"
.......................".\/...."....\/ "
......................."===="===="

Ron,

I too went with the QB. You dont need a rib pattern to make a nice wing stand. Just whip up one of these and you'll be happy and safe. I hope no one minds I stole this pic from another wing stand discussion.

-Jeff

sling26ho.jpg

Heres my rig...

WINGS%20297.jpg

I agree with Jeff - the sling-style works fine (I'm sure the cut-out stands are excellent as well!) - I whipped mine up in about 30 minutes from scrap lumber when we were unloading my QB wings from their crate. It lasted over a year through that part of the build, and I've already given it away to another local builder. If you make it slightly shorter (in height) than the wing cord, you get a free shelf to put stuff while you're building!

Paul

Use the crate

I used the shipping crate. It took 10 minutes to cut off the front (or was it the back) and both ends at the beam for the spar. It's not like I need to take them in and out much. Out once to work on them and then store until final assembly. I just push the box against the wall and my wings have good protection. I kept a sheet of foam and the large panel I removed to use for protecting the exposed side.

Jekyll