TerryWighs

Well Known Member
Goodmorning all...I am beginning to layout the materials list for a wing stand to construct the RV-8 wing. I will be following the design posted by Rudi....(Nice work by the way, Rudi). My question is....not knowing how much an RV-8 wing weighs, I am unsure what gauge of steel to use. I am thinking 3/16" for the rectangular and angle stock, and 1/4" for the aluminum angle stock??? Is this about right, or is it overkill???

I used Aluminum Tube

Terry,
I made mine from 3 x 2 x .125 AL tube and L 2 x 1-1/2 x 3/16 AL angle. It all works fine. They were used by another local builder before I used them. The only thing I changed from Rudi's basic design is in the angles that bolt to the outboard rib. It seems alot of guys have had to make a "slit" in the support angle for the skin to rest in. I used a pc. of 2-1/2 x 2 x 3/16 angle for that to space the rib a little further away from the support.

If you're going to use steel, 11 ga. tubing would be plenty stout and easier to move around.

I wanted a stand on rollers but stiff. It is a single wing jig. I used steel 1.25" square posts from HD/Menards, steel L angles for the horizontal supports, turnbuckles for leveling. Wood was used for the feet and beam (2X6), with large gussets bolted to ensure no give. So far, no movement, and was easy to true out with the Smart Tool and a plumb line. I've double checked several times since (eg before drilling the skins), and everything is staying true.
Pics are on the website below - go to "shop" in the upper right nav menu, then click on the two entries for "wing jig construction" if you're interested in any pics.

The wing will weigh about 75 pounds on the jig.

I just went to my local steel yard and picked up what they call used steel. It cost about $10 for a 9' length of 1"x4" rectangle tube and 4' of 1"x1" angle to bolt to the floor. I had the guy there chop the pcs into 2 - 4.5' pcs of tube and 4 1 foot pcs of angle. For the angle that holds the spars I used 6063 (arc) 1"x1" from Lowes, which I already had. The steel yard had 6063 too but I didn't ask the price. I'd bet they were cheaper than Lowes.