cjensen

Well Known Member
i worked all day today to get these things installed, but they turned out great! i have to thank rudi and a couple others who inspired me to go with the steel posts. they are SO sturdy, and the angle is super easy to adjust to level!

1-7-06-007w.jpg

1-7-06-016w.jpg

1-7-06-018w.jpg

1-7-06-019w.jpg

wing stands

Chad,

You got prints/plans for those stands? I'd like a set if you do so I can make those myself?

Jim

cjensen said:
i worked all day today to get these things installed, but they turned out great! i have to thank rudi and a couple others who inspired me to go with the steel posts. they are SO sturdy, and the angle is super easy to adjust to level!

Congrats! I'm a couple of weeks behind you (apparently I ordered the super slow build kit, but I'm getting there). FYI: I'm the new newsletter editor for EAA 49 in Lancaster CA. Let me know if you have any interesting stories you might like to share with us. I've got lots and lots of blank pages to fill :)

jimpappas said:
Chad,

You got prints/plans for those stands? I'd like a set if you do so I can make those myself?

Jim

i don't have any plans, i just used the design of another VAF member...all from pics he posted here. they're really easy, but time consuming. i'd be happy to tell ya or show you how i did it!

jcoloccia said:
Congrats! I'm a couple of weeks behind you (apparently I ordered the super slow build kit, but I'm getting there). FYI: I'm the new newsletter editor for EAA 49 in Lancaster CA. Let me know if you have any interesting stories you might like to share with us. I've got lots and lots of blank pages to fill :)

thanks john! that'd be great to share some stories! i have blank pages too...in fact ours is due to the printer this coming thursday, and i should be working on it right now, instead of doing this!
:eek:

wing stands

Chad,

I'll let you know when I'm ready. Right now I'm still stuck on the Emp.

New DRDT2 I just ordered should help some.

sounds good! i love that dimpler, and i really should get one for the wing skins. $$$

Chad: I think you're going to need to notch the angle a little bit to allow the skin to fit on the ribs. The angle gets attached directly to the most outboard rib and the skin overhangs the rib

I seeyou're the chapter newsletter editor. Nobody works harder in an EAA chapter than the newsletter editor. We should exchange war stories sometime.

Nice!

Nicely done Chad!

Please give more specifics on the materials you used for the stands and if you don't mind sharing, the cost to have them fabricated.

Antony

no problem antony. the posts are made from 2x4x1/8 steel square tubing, and the footings are 1 1/2x3/16 angle. the posts are 48" tall, and the footings are 8" long with the post positioned so that there are 3" of footing on the wing hanging side and 1" on the other. the footings are welded to the posts. all hardware used so far is 3/8, and the angle is 1"x1/8. the threaded rod is 12" long. i bought all the hardware at Lowes. they are attached to the floor with 1/2" rawl bolts.

the posts cost $120 with labor, and the hardware and angle were another $50.

:)

Thanks Chad!

Awesome! Thanks a bunch Chad.

John (CJ) and I are going to get together in two weeks and make a set of stands for my wings. I don't know how to weld, so hopefully I will learn the basics from John.

Back to priming!

Antony
(writing from the snowy north)

osxuser said:
Is this being used instead of the wing jig in the plans?

yep! they do the exact same thing though. the steel is rigid enough to not have to run them to the ceiling as called out in the plans for the stand/jig.

aparchment said:
Awesome! Thanks a bunch Chad.

John (CJ) and I are going to get together in two weeks and make a set of stands for my wings. I don't know how to weld, so hopefully I will learn the basics from John...

thanks antony. i don't know how to weld either, so i had them made at a local welding shop.
:cool:

Stand spacing

Hi all,

I built similar wing stands only mine are 2" steel tube, two individual H-shaped stands that will go floor to roof. I am about to the step of putting them up and am scratching my head about how far apart they need to be.

As I understand, the inboard end the spar rests on top of the support and is clamped in place. Outboard, it is bolted to a piece of angle iron or similar. The outboard skin extends some distance (how far?) beyond the end of the spar and allowance needs to be made for the skin to be fitted.

So, questions are:
1. how far apart
2. what allowance do I need to make for the outboard skin?
3. Is a spacer better than notching the outboard angle iron?

Thanks

Michael Wynn
RV 8: fluting a bazillion ribs
San Ramon

mlwynn said:
So, questions are:
1. how far apart
2. what allowance do I need to make for the outboard skin?
3. Is a spacer better than notching the outboard angle iron?

1. mine posts are two feet apart, but i'll have an additional 10" between the wings once they are hung (4" for the posts and 1" of space from the post to the spar on both sides) for 34" of space.

2. not sure exactly how much, but it looks like about the width of a rib, maybe a little more.

3. i'm going with a spacer, but don't know if it's better or not...

Hi Chad,

I like your wing stands (wink..wink) ;)

Guys I'm the Rudi chad is refering to and you can read all about the reasons I chose and much more photos of the stands and attachements at the orginal post a while back over here on this forum: "To build a wing jig or not?" ...Just scroll to the bottom..

It is not a replacement for the Vans jig it just have other advantages.

If you place them appart like Vans suggest in their drawing and use the bracket as indicated in Chad's picture (a picture of my bracket setup ;)) you do not have to notch the angle.

Kind Regards
Rudi

My stands:
jig_01.jpg

No need to notch the angle...see below!

wings_18.jpg

Last edited:
thanks again rudi...i know you know this, but by no means was i trying to make your pics my own. :) now, if i only had a shop as CLEAN as yours! that's a great looking space and nice floor!

Hmmm...I wonder

Your posts look excellent, much like the chap from South Africa. Both are fine examples of craftsmanship and utility.

I wonder though, could a guy get similar results with some 2" metal pipe and a couple of pipe flanges bolted to the floor?

Dave

cjensen said:
thanks again rudi...i know you know this, but by no means was i trying to make your pics my own. :) now, if i only had a shop as CLEAN as yours! that's a great looking space and nice floor!
I know :p;):D and dont worry, what I like about RVing is taking what is out there and making it 'better' and passing it along for those that come after us. Regards Rudi.

David Johnson said:
<SNIP>
I wonder though, could a guy get similar results with some 2" metal pipe and a couple of pipe flanges bolted to the floor?

Dave
Hi Dave, I am sure if you can figure out a way to keep the angle bracket arms sturdily supported on a round pipe you can do the same. Regards, Rudi

that's what i was thinking too. round pipe and square angle don't usually mix well. some sort of U clamp would be necessary i would imagine, and those only stradle the pipe with no through connection. hmmmm...that's one to figure out... :confused:

Since I'm still a ways off from even starting, I thought I'd utilize my time by building some of the items I'll need later. These stands look like an excellent and easy project to get me started (along with the pneumatic dimpler - which uses the same box beam). Am I correct in guessing each post is 4 foot high? The other posting from South Africa Here does not mention this either - everything else looks like it can be done from the pictures already given.

my posts are 4 feet high. i do believe rudi's are 5 feet, but not positive. my spar shelves (angle) are mounted at 46".

Baja_Traveler said:
Since I'm still a ways off from even starting, I thought I'd utilize my time by building some of the items I'll need later. These stands look like an excellent and easy project to get me started (along with the pneumatic dimpler - which uses the same box beam). Am I correct in guessing each post is 4 foot high? The other posting from South Africa Here does not mention this either - everything else looks like it can be done from the pictures already given.
Yip my posts are +/- 5 feet high, but you can see in the pictures it has some over run above the spar, so you can most probably do it with 4 feet posts.

I have had so many private requests about the dimensions of my wing stands that I think it is worthwhile to draw it up and put the drawing up on the forum.;)

I had no idea that it would become this popular.:eek: I just used what is out there and did it my way because I couldn?t run the posts all the way to the ceiling. (And steel was the same price as good wood here in South Africa)

The drawing is up under the building tips section: go here

Regards
Rudi

Last edited: