tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I'm having a dyslexic moment reading Van's plans for attaching the outer portion of the RV8 wing spar to a wing stand for construction.

I don't see where to attach the angle iron that Van's references. Anyone have a picture? Are we talking about installing the outermost rib and attaching to that?

It looks like just resting the outer portion of the spar on a crossbar would interfere with the outboard ribs.

Thanks,
Tom H.

Attach to outer rib...

This is what I did for my 7 wings ... you can see the angle bracket hanging on top the end of the reverse-angle bracket connected to the support post. The the gold-anodized spar peeking out.

The wing angle bracket is attached to the lower rib with two AN3 bolts. It's pretty solid. Note that I had to make some cutouts in the stand arm to accommodate the wing skins once they are installed.

n134p5.jpg

Bottom view...

aemk2e.jpg

I did the same for my wings, two bolts through the angle and two holes in the outermost rib. Be sure to put those two holes in locations that will not interfere with setting the rib to spar rivets.

Chris

This should show you the way the angle is mounted to the outside rib. I installed spacers because the garage floor is not level. Hope this adds clarity to the above posts for you. Have fun.

DSCN1509.JPG

DSCN1511.JPG

Last edited:
This is mildly related....

When painting my wings, I fabbed up a piece of 4" heavy PVC pipe to an piece of scrap iron and attached the whole thing to a post in the shop. The PVC pipe is about 2' long and sticks out horizontally from the post.

When painting, simply slide the wing onto the PVC pipe (tip end) and set the spar stub on a saw horse. Paint one side, then pull the saw horse out, flip the wing, replace the horse, and paint the other side.

No fancy wing rolling stuff required.

Photos and text here: http://www.vincesrocket.com/painting.htm