The "factory built" spars are not built by Van's but by a company called Phlogistan. In the 3/4/6 days, the Phlogistan spar was an option (just south of a grand) that you could select when ordering your wing kit. The phlogistan spar was gold anodized prior to riveting together, which is a good way to identify one. Most builders do not have access to anodizing so they just primered the spars.

The "factory built" spar is a known quantity in terms of build quality, where a home-built spar may or may not be of the same quality.

The "factory built" spars are now standard in all the kits.

The prefab spar is standard on 7,8,9, and 10; optional on 4 and 6. I built mine with no trouble and can't imagine shelling out a grand for the work.

Just as a data point, Vans wants $1600 each for the prebuilt anodized 9 spars.

I didn't think that was even an option not to get them on the new kits. Am I wrong?

No, you're correct. Mine came from the factory with the flanges on the main spars mis-bent to an incorrect angle and had to be replaced. Vans picked up the tab, including shipping, but the price on the invoice is $1600 each. Don't screw 'em up when you're countersinking! :eek:

I picked up my -4 wing kit a few months ago, and the pre-fab spar was a ~$1500 option. The build-it-yourself version comes with bar tapers done, lightning holes drilled, and all stiffeners line drilled and matched. All that's left to do it clean it up, prime/anodize it, and assemble - something I couldn't bear paying $1500 for when it's already almost done.

A word of caution though, if you muff up a piece, it will be hard to get new piece matched as ALL the spars bits are unique due to the line drilling. Every reinforcement bar has your s/n etched in the ends so you keep them together.

Nice!

I picked up my -4 wing kit a few months ago, and the pre-fab spar was a ~$1500 option. The build-it-yourself version comes with bar tapers done, lightning holes drilled, and all stiffeners line drilled and matched. All that's left to do it clean it up, prime/anodize it, and assemble - something I couldn't bear paying $1500 for when it's already almost done.

A word of caution though, if you muff up a piece, it will be hard to get new piece matched as ALL the spars bits are unique due to the line drilling. Every reinforcement bar has your s/n etched in the ends so you keep them together.

That is a far cry away from the days the spar was raw stock you tapered and drilled. Sounds like they have taken the majority of the work out of building them yourself.

Easy equity - DIY!

I also assembled the spars. The spar components are very refined and nearly ready to assemble yourself. If I did this whole thing all over again I'd put the pre-assembled spar money into hiring a pro to build the wing tanks. Delegate someone else make love with the Proseal!!! In my mind that would be wiser use your cash.