msturgis

Well Known Member
OK, so I have been going crazy for the last few days trying to figure out where these three nut plates correspond to in the plans. I would like to drill them and countersink them now while I am doing the tank attach nutplates.

I am sure the answer is right in front of me, but I can't seem to find it!

Any help?

misnutplates.jpg

I think I know what it is but not 100% sure

Don't quote me on it (I'm building a -7 but the wings are almost identical) but I believe it is for the z channel tank attach bracket. If I recall correctly the manual states the inboard z channel tank attach bracket screws to the spar instead of bolting on. On Dwg 10A of my drawings the inboard tank attach bracket is between the two inner ribs which is where the holes in your picture is located.

OK, so I have been going crazy for the last few days trying to figure out where these three nut plates correspond to in the plans. I would like to drill them and countersink them now while I am doing the tank attach nutplates.

I am sure the answer is right in front of me, but I can't seem to find it!

Any help?

misnutplates.jpg

Tank Attach Nutplates

Take a look at DWG 10A for the location of the empty holes...

Look at DWG 16A for the nutplate installation (see Section C-C and Detail "A").

The bolts at this inboard "Z" bracket pass aft through the bracket into the nutplates on the spar.

The bolts for the other tank attach "Z" brackets pass forward through the spar into nutplates riveted onto the legs of the "Z" brackets.

Good luck,
Mike

Don't put the nutplates on there until you match drill the tank attach brackets. Otherwise it is tough to get the holes lined up perfectly. I jumped ahead and put the nutplates on there when I did all of the other ones on my RV-9 spar.
I was able to match drill these to the tank brackets by starting with a small bit and then worked up to the correct size for the AN bolts.