ErichKeane

Well Known Member
I've been going over the wiring in the plane, and noticed that the wing-spar sensors are too low! The clamps that hold them into place made them sit too low to register properly. The wiring works correctly, and I can get them to go green when I hold them in place against the top, but when clamped in they are quite a bit too low.

I took off as much steel from the pin as I dare (just about the 1/8th"), but it didn't fix it.

I also removed the rubber from the back of the clamp to raise it that little bit, but that still didn't help.

Anyone have any other ideas/fixes?

I installed the sensors according the plans and there position is o.k. under the armrest. I also shortened the pins by 1/8".

MyKitlog sensors
MyKitlog sensors 2

FP21092010A0000P.jpg

Are the magnets close to the surface, flush with the ends of the steel tubes? The steel surrounding the magnets acts like a shield against the magnetic force field while the surrounding aluminum does not. I have seen several -12 builders struggle with the wing pin sensors only to find their magnets are way too deep in the steel tubes canceling out / weakening the magnetic force field to the point where it is ineffective to the reed switches.

Last edited:
I remember this as taking a bit of time. I just experimented with various positions for the switches, and when I found the position and orientation that worked, I formed the clamps to hold the switches in those "hot spots."

Same here

I did the same as John. You can move the reed switch up and down in the clamp, bend the clamp, and rotate the clamp. Using a combination of these variables, I was able to get mine to work (after also removing 1/8" from the end of the steel outer sheath). I also enlarged the holes over the reed swithces slightly- seemed to help out.

Jeff

Another consideration

I adjusted my pickup switches per the plans and they worked during initial testing. Then when flying with a passenger I would get a spar pin warning and the red light would come on :eek:. Of course the passenger would pick that up right away..."Er - whats that big red light and warning sound mean??"

Doing a little trouble shooting, I found that the armrest has just enough flex that a person leaning on it can change the spar pin pickup position enough to flash the warning. I then took off another 1/16" of the steel sleeve to solve the problem.